Computer shut itself off - just one time

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by Salamander, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Salamander

Salamander Member

Four days ago I was on my computer (its a dyi - about mobo, hsf, and psu about 5 years old, other components are newer) when it suddenly shut down. I then pushed the power button and nothing happened. I unplugged it, tried to turn it on and again nothing happened. I then tried a third time and it booted up fine. CPUID show temps are all fine.

It's never done this before, and so far if hasn't done it again.

Any ideas why it happened?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Computer shut time Forum Date
    Computer suddenly shut down and will not boot back up. Computer Help Sep 4, 2017
    PC runs for a few mins, shuts down and releases odor Computer Help Mar 15, 2017
    computer randomly shuts down and restarts Computer Help Jan 14, 2017
    Computer shutting down during gameplay (possible overheat?) Computer Help Aug 20, 2016
    Computer shuts off after 10 minutes every time Computer Help Aug 30, 2008

3. MagnusTheBrewer

4. paul878

paul878 Senior member

check for leaky capacitors.

5. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

and also for loose wires

6. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

PSU may have overheated which would explain why it took a few tries to turn on.

7. Salamander

Salamander Member

Another day, still ok. Didn't see any loose wires or leaky capacitors. Use canned air - a very small bit of dust.

8. Salamander

Salamander Member

A few weeks ago it started again. Now it will stay on for about two hours, then shut down. Yesterday my burner stopped working, though Plex Utilities can find it. Today my DisplayPort connection stopped, and I had to connect the graphics card with the DVI connection. Temps seem fine. I don't know if it is the PSU, the mobo, or something else. Any thoughts?

9. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

start with swapping in a known-good psu, and pray that the old psu didn't permanently damage anything.

10. Salamander

Salamander Member

Actually, I'm getting ready to do a new build - hoping to use some of the parts. Is there any way to tell if there is permanent damage to the burner and diswplay port connection prior to installing them in the new build?

11. Salamander

Salamander Member

Ok, after I pulled out the harddrive without the OS and pulled out the soundcard, the computer is fine. It's been running for 36 hours straight without any issues. What gives?

12. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

It still could be a failing PSU, so now that you've removed some of the load it works better. A long shot could be the SATA cable you were using with the secondary hard drive.

13. mlc

mlc Senior member

PSU or a bad cable/connection are most probable ... as last poster said.. the SATA cable could be bad...
    1) try reinstalling the drive using a different cable... and try it in a different SATA port to rule that out
    2) if no issue.. then reintroduct the sound card as well.. as that could be causing problems if not seated correctly

Other possiblility could be a short/bad mount between the motherboard and case.. and when you wiggled out the sound card.. it may have temporarily alleviated the problem.. .

If none of those work.. then psu is a possibility.. but any hardware/wire connecting into the board could cause this behaivor as well... so make sure connections are snug, etc..