Computer Science Jobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I am not joking. Most jobs are handed over to outsourcing company from India. They ship job there or bring people here. Net result is job dissapear for the locals.

Going to be even worse with the TPP as the TPP basically encourages companies to do this even more and will make it easier/cheaper.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
From what I have seen (and I have been watching closely over the years), H1Bs and outsourcing has pushed the wages down and the qualifications up. To get even an entry level programming job requires a lot more knowledge than it used to not to mention that everything is changing faster today than it ever has. 60 hour weeks are expected and learning new crap in your free time (all of it) is mandatory these days.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I am not joking. Most jobs are handed over to outsourcing company from India. They ship job there or bring people here. Net result is job dissapear for the locals.

What is going on is, they do want to hire people, BUT, it is far cheaper to hire a H1-B person than it is to hire a citizen.
Then the suits say, if they can do the same job, but cheaper, it is a win for us!
If they hire too many H1-B people, then they will hire people fresh out of college to pay them the lowest amount possible, and usually only temps.

I know lots of people that just couldn't find a good job for programming (most of them >40 years old with 10+ years experience), and they gave up and move to other fields that wasn't programming related.

If you were go into a security related field of programming, those are mostly citizen jobs still, as it is a requirement. Well, make that, the actual module itself, there are still other parts of the code that can be and are outsourced.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What is going on is, they do want to hire people, BUT, it is far cheaper to hire a H1-B person than it is to hire a citizen.
Then the suits say, if they can do the same job, but cheaper, it is a win for us!
If they hire too many H1-B people, then they will hire people fresh out of college to pay them the lowest amount possible, and usually only temps.

I know lots of people that just couldn't find a good job for programming (most of them >40 years old with 10+ years experience), and they gave up and move to other fields that wasn't programming related.

If you were go into a security related field of programming, those are mostly citizen jobs still, as it is a requirement. Well, make that, the actual module itself, there are still other parts of the code that can be and are outsourced.

Canadian firms do one better. They post jobs, do not call anyone for interviews, then say they have local labour shortage and import temporary foreign workers. Underqualified workers at that. But hey it looks good on the balance sheet. It's gotten quite ridiculous.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
dunno wtf you all are talking about with jobs shifting over seas in the dev field. i'm constantly turning down job offers in the 120k range that are thrown at me because the salary is too low. we're having trouble filling positions at my company for salaries over 6 figures too because talent is hard to find.

if you're job is being shifted over seas in the dev field, it's because you're just not a good dev.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This. Most tech jobs, especially the funner/more advanced ones are usually outsourced, OR are in the really big cities that are super expensive and miserable to live in. You may still find some companies that hire plain old regular IT people, but that is just typical IT work, running around fixing printers, servers, PBXes, helping someone connect projector to laptop, etc...Maybe play with network stuff as well. Most of those jobs pay near minimum wage now. All depends on the company. Workstation support while being fairly basic/menial is probably the most secure of IT jobs. It's kinda hard to outsource that, at least until the company decides to deploy thin clients.

If I was to do it over again instead of doing computer science I probably would have done trades, probably electrical and/or plumbing. Though working in a climate controlled environment is a plus of computer science related jobs. :p Fixing a light or other electrical outside when it's 40 below zero does not sound like my idea of fun.

One thing you MAY be able to find of interest is stuff involving PLCs and building automation, but even then I think most of that stuff is outsourced. It's typically something that's set and forget, so when it's initially setup you have a guy come in, set it all up, program it, then he might come back to tweak it, and then he's gone. If there is an issue they call that guy and fly him in.

based on your previous posts, you live in bum fuck nowhere where nobody wants to live. and you refuse to move. of course you aren't going to find a dream job where you're at.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

and this is exactly why software has turned to shit and is buggy as hell, because nobody wants to pay for talent. with development, "you get what you pay for" can't be any truer.

i had a buddy make a post on facebook this past week asking if anyone knows of a good development studio in the area to make an app for his company. i responded telling him that if i wasn't already working on a startup in my spare time i'd see what is up, but that he should expect to pay 10s of thousands of dollars for the app, depending on the complexity.

he was shocked that it was going to be that much. for some reason people who simply are unaware of the software industry expect everything to be cheap. and then they go find cheap people to do the job (possibly from overseas) and have a shitty product.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
dunno wtf you all are talking about with jobs shifting over seas in the dev field. i'm constantly turning down job offers in the 120k range that are thrown at me because the salary is too low. we're having trouble filling positions at my company for salaries over 6 figures too because talent is hard to find.

if you're job is being shifted over seas in the dev field, it's because you're just not a good dev.

Has nothing to do with how good you are, rather how expensive you are. I am just telling you what I see up here.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Has nothing to do with how good you are, rather how expensive you are. I am just telling you what I see up here.

it has everything to do with how good you are, which dictates how expensive you can be. if you aren't good you can't command higher rates. if you aren't good you will settle for lower rates since you can't get higher rates.

EDIT:

and i'm not saying you are wrong as what you see up there either. one excellent dev at $100k/yr is more valuable than 2 average devs at $50k/yr. a lot of companies who aren't really in the know though don't realize this, and they would rather have 2 people at $50k/yr than 1 at $100k/yr who would be a lot more productive than the 2 nubs.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
it has everything to do with how good you are, which dictates how expensive you can be. if you aren't good you can't command higher rates. if you aren't good you will settle for lower rates since you can't get higher rates.

EDIT:

and i'm not saying you are wrong as what you see up there either. one excellent dev at $100k/yr is more valuable than 2 average devs at $50k/yr. a lot of companies who aren't really in the know though don't realize this, and they would rather have 2 people at $50k/yr than 1 at $100k/yr who would be a lot more productive than the 2 nubs.

Like I said they just don't appreciate good devs. And I am not a dev :biggrin:

SeductivePig

Dec 18, 2007
It almost seems like everyone in this thread is suggesting to not even bother with programming. :/

Don't know what else I can spend my spare time on at work..

Theoretically I have around 60 hours of free time per week to spend on something new..

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
It almost seems like everyone in this thread is suggesting to not even bother with programming. :/

Don't know what else I can spend my spare time on at work..

Theoretically I have around 60 hours of free time per week to spend on something new..

Programming is a valuable skill to have in today's world. But how marketable it is for someone starting out is another thing altogether.

I have a Computer Science degree. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten an EE and worked more with hardware, possibly with programming aimed at hardware projects. Career-wise, EE has more variety and more demand.

By all means, learn some programming. But give some thought to how it might be used in conjunction with your current area of expertise. Don't count on having much success switching careers, though.

Oct 25, 2006
Programming is a valuable skill to have in today's world. But how marketable it is for someone starting out is another thing altogether.

I have a Computer Science degree. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten an EE and worked more with hardware, possibly with programming aimed at hardware projects. Career-wise, EE has more variety and more demand.

By all means, learn some programming. But give some thought to how it might be used in conjunction with your current area of expertise. Don't count on having much success switching careers, though.
Admittedly, in the "hard" engineering careers, I've found that many processes are stuck in the dark ages. I've always joked that if I ever went back to my old companies with what I know now, I could put half the company out of a job because so many people do work that is trivially automatable.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
based on your previous posts, you live in bum fuck nowhere where nobody wants to live. and you refuse to move. of course you aren't going to find a dream job where you're at.

People are delusional about what they consider middle of nowhere. Attawapiskat and Peawanuk is "bum fuck no where", and even then, people who live there don't want to move, it's where they grew up and where they are established. Work to live, not live to work. We should not be expected to move for jobs, jobs should be more spread out instead of in only a few cities that are super crowded and expensive to live in. I know lot of people who moved and ended up coming back, or want to come back. But reality is companies don't want to hire within the country, it's cheaper to use TFWs and just show basic effort that they tried.

The jobs that are more secure right now are trades, people will always need stuff built, fixed, installed, etc. At least until prefab takes over. Then it will all be built overseas and shipped in containers and 2 guys from India will put it together in a week. It might stand for more than a year.

Last edited: