Computer reboots all the time for no reason?

controler

Feb 11, 2001
I have an old socket 7 gigabyte mobo with a k62 350 running linux as my gateway/router. Its got scsi, but doesn't do much. Lately it has been rebooting for no reason. I thought it was the scsi card, so I swapped out scsi for ide. It still reboots. I also tried the RAM... stilll reboots. What else could be the problem? Power supply/cpu/mobo?

Thanks

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
I would guess the Power Supply. If you have a spare, swap it out and try again.

Cyph3r

Jan 20, 2000
Hows the cooling of the case? When it reboots and you are actaully there to witness it, go into the BIOS and see if you can see what the temperature is if your BIOS even has that. You should not probably be in the 90's or so..if you are well beyond that then that could be a reason for the reboots..Regards

controler

Feb 11, 2001
The temps arn't too high, because I thought that me be it. But for the past two weeks the lid of the case has been off. I have whitnessed it once, and it made a beeping noise (beeeeeep), and just rebooted. It sits in the room next to me, so it doesn't get too loud. Looking at the syslogs says nothing either.. just restart of the log. I'll try a different ps. Thanks

Harv22222

Sep 25, 2000
I had a problem like this with the computer i have now. Only had a 250 PS, and got a 350 and haven't had a problem since. So i take it my problem was the PS

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I agree heat is most likely not the culprit...350 k6-2's can damn near be ran with passive cooling oly. So if you have any case fans and a working cpu fan there should be no problems.

I think it may be a bad psu...check voltages if board supports it. Look for spikes or if the standard voltages vary greater then the 5 percent of the defaults.

250watt psu are more then enough for the 350 k6-2.