Computer randomly shuts down, w/o notice

boomdart

Jan 10, 2004
My sister's computer randomly shuts down w/o notice... Virus scanners don't find anything, and all the spyware is removed from her computer. It's not like the worm that was out; which gave you 30 seconds or whatever, it just shuts down.

What could the virus possibly be? It happens on my mom's computer as well... :/ And both computers are on a network...with two others, but neither of the other two are infected.

My computer doesn't have it because I live at the dorm >:)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
What makes you think it's a virus rather than a loose wire in the power supply or something?

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
1. Something overheating (cpu, ps, ect)
2. Bad Memory
3. Bad HD or Corrupt data

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Make sure the fans on the CPU are free of dust/debris and are spinning freely. Same for other fans.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
People who are mentioning hardware.....it is happening on two computers. Do you think both of them simultaneously had hardware failures that are causing the same strange behavior? It doesn't sound likely to me, unless it's overheating or something but even then it doesn't seem likely at all.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Staley8
People who are mentioning hardware.....it is happening on two computers. Do you think both of them simultaneously had hardware failures that are causing the same strange behavior? It doesn't sound likely to me, unless it's overheating or something but even then it doesn't seem likely at all.

Two computers in the same house, turning off at the same time, for apparently no reason, and you think it's something other than a power problem?

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred

Two computers in the same house, turning off at the same time, for apparently no reason, and you think it's something other than a power problem?

You said it could be "loose wire in the power supply or something". I figured you were implying a loose power wire in the power supply of the computer. So both computers have a loose wire? Or were you referring to a loose wire in the power supply of the house?

Other people are putting bad hardware, seems awfully suspicious unless the two computer were made with the same components.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred

You said it could be "loose wire in the power supply or something". I figured you were implying a loose power wire in the power supply of the computer. So both computers have a loose wire? Or were you referring to a loose wire in the power supply of the house?

Other people are putting bad hardware, seems awfully suspicious unless the two computer were made with the same components.

I said "or something", indicating that it could be something other than just a loose wire, but that was my first guess. It could also easily be a lousy power supply to your house.

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
I leaning towards a brownout, maybe those 2 computers are just more sensitive to voltages. Do they have additional hardware that the 2 that stay up don't have?