Computer Randomly Freeze While Makes Loud Noises

icu222much

Nov 15, 2012
Every now and then my computer would randomly freeze for a few seconds while making a clicking noise. This is most noticeable while gaming as my game would be frozen for a few seconds. When this happens, I noticed that my Skype, Windows 7, and Chrome is not frozen. This lead me to believe I have a bad hard drive as my games are installed on a HDD, and my other applications are on a SSD. I ran CrystalDisk which reported that all of my drives are in a Good condition. I do not see any other issues of symptoms and am unsure what my next step to debugging would be. Any suggestions?

Windows 7
i5 - 4670K
7970 3GB
4 x 4GB DDR3
AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
Intel 335 240GB (SSDSC2CT240A4K5)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001)
Seagate Barracuda 500GB (ST3500320AS)

PhIlLy ChEeSe

Apr 1, 2013
Remove the drive in question, make a copy of it first. If you can't then good luck............

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
When you tested, did you just test SMART or did you run an extended test? I just replaced a hard drive not 3 days ago for a friend that SMART said was perfectly fine but which froze up and threw an error about 3/4 of the way through testing Western Digital's manufacturer diagnostic extended testing. I would recommend doing a backup, if you don't have a good one, in the event it fails during testing.

Also, are you running any type of temperature monitoring software? It might not be a bad idea to check your CPU and GPU temps right after one of these episodes.

If you don't find a hardware cause, you might want to try to upgrade your video drivers. Or, if you are running the newest driver, try to uninstall it and downgrade to a slightly older one in case you have a bug.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Drive is dying.

Many people love Seagates, I gave up on them long ago.

Just my two cents.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Drive is dying.

Many people love Seagates, I gave up on them long ago.

Just my two cents.

I don't know of any brand that is truly reliable anymore. Having a good backup regimen is your best friend.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I don't know of any brand that is truly reliable anymore. Having a good backup regimen is your best friend.

I've always been a WD fanboi myself.

Paying a bit more for a Black is usually a good thing.

Still have about four old WD 1 TB RE3's in a hardware RAID array for a very long time now.

Have just had Barracudas die on me in the past, same reason with some of the Gigabyte Mobos lately I see.

Just person experience and my opinion.

Last edited:

icu222much

Nov 15, 2012
When you tested, did you just test SMART or did you run an extended test? I just replaced a hard drive not 3 days ago for a friend that SMART said was perfectly fine but which froze up and threw an error about 3/4 of the way through testing Western Digital's manufacturer diagnostic extended testing. I would recommend doing a backup, if you don't have a good one, in the event it fails during testing.

Also, are you running any type of temperature monitoring software? It might not be a bad idea to check your CPU and GPU temps right after one of these episodes.

If you don't find a hardware cause, you might want to try to upgrade your video drivers. Or, if you are running the newest driver, try to uninstall it and downgrade to a slightly older one in case you have a bug.

I just ran a SMART test. What tool would you recommend me run that allows me to run an extended test?

icu222much

Nov 15, 2012
I ran Long Generic passes on each drive which passed. I also ran MemTest which passed too. Any other suggestions?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Perhaps it's the fan on your video card?

Can you run GPU-Z and see what's going on with the video card when the computer acts up?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Perhaps it's the fan on your video card?

Can you run GPU-Z and see what's going on with the video card when the computer acts up?

+1

Also, are you monitoring CPU temps? What you are seeing could be a symptom of CPU throttling if it is overheating. Another thing to check might be to run an SFC /SCANNOW check from an elevated command prompt to check for system file corruption that could be dragging down your system performance.

Last edited:

icu222much

Nov 15, 2012
I haven't had time to game this week, but I'll try to put some hours in over the weekend and let you guys know what I find.