Computer Processor Update Help

Skilled

Jan 18, 2014
Hello,

I have a HP Media PC which I have had for several years now.
HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7775

I upgraded the RAM inside, adding 2 - 1GB 5300 DDR2 making total 4 GB.
Worked fine for ages...

Recently however, my PC wouldn't boot and after playing around discovered that by removing the 2 extra ram that i previously put in - the PC booted up again.

I have continued to use the PC for the last 3 months roughly but really notice its struggling to open internet pages, programs etc and not as fast as it previously was .. it also seems to take longer to boot up.

I figured it's to do with removing the ram that caused it not to start so I have just ordered 2 new:

377726-888 2GB(2x1GB) HP PC2-5300U DDR2 667 MHz Non-ECC 240-Pin PC DIMM Memory
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261105660583

(Hopefully these are right!?)

While looking through the specifications on upgrading RAM- Im wondering whether it is worthwhile upgrading the Processor now as well ?

Is this something that will make the pc run faster - I dont play games on the pc anymore but use photoshop, have several webpages on the go, stream films etc...

Is upgrading this going to help it run 'smoother or quicker' and is it going to be significantly quicker - or shall i just stick to the RAM upgrade for the time being?

The specs are as follows:

Core 2 Duo E6600
Operating speed: Up to 2.4 GHz
Number of cores: 2
Socket: 775
Bus speed: 1066 MHz
Processor upgrade information
Socket type: 775

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Core 2 Duo E6x00
Core 2 Duo E4x00
Pentium D 9x0 Dual Core
Pentium D 8xx Dual Core
Pentium 4 6x1 series
Celeron D 3xx series

#

If I should upgrade can anyone recommend the best one to go to from this compatible list that's provided on the hp site?

Many thanks, Jon

Jan 20, 2013
The C2D E6700 averages about 10% on benchmarks over the C2D E6600. I believe that the E6700 is the fastest C2D E6x00.

Your link to the memory should be fine for your system.

Slots gone bad or memory gone bad? Try the removed memory in the other two slots and see if it starts up. You may want to run Memtest on the memory.

Skilled

Jan 18, 2014
So the memory currently in the computer - slots 1 and 2 works and it boots windows.

If I add new memory to slot 3, or 4 or 3 and 4 it doesn't boot.

If i add the new memory to slots 1 or 1 and 2 it doesn't boot.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
So the memory currently in the computer - slots 1 and 2 works and it boots windows.

If I add new memory to slot 3, or 4 or 3 and 4 it doesn't boot.

If i add the new memory to slots 1 or 1 and 2 it doesn't boot.

I usually don't buy through Ebay -- particularly RAM. Doesn't mean your source is unreliable. But I'd pay more just to get it from some outfit like "Memory 4 Less." But that's not the issue.

On lightningbaron's note about the E6700. Unless the module is the earlier "Conroe" E6700 such as the E6600 you have, that model has been replaced by another "E6700" which should be socket-compatible with your motherboard.

That being said -- the new E6700 is a "Wolfdale" processor as opposed to Conroe.

Now it would be reasonable to assume that it will run in your motherboard, which is socket LGA-775. However, a couple of things. Check the CPU list for that motherboard again, and see if it is compatible with any Wolfdale processor -- E8400, E8600 etc. IF it is, the E6700 will work, but likely require a BIOS update BEFORE you remove the E6600.

I have misgivings, though. You have an OEM system by HP. OEMs had often used proprietary RAM models, and I THINK that generic models not marketed as "HP" might not work with those systems. That being said -- your modules are definitely the latter.

But then there's the question about compatibility with a new CPU like the E6700 Wolfdale. You'd best confirm from HP if there's an updated processor list, or whether the Wolfdale E6700 will work properly.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Socket type: 775

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Core 2 Duo E6x00
Core 2 Duo E4x00
Pentium D 9x0 Dual Core
Pentium D 8xx Dual Core
Pentium 4 6x1 series
Celeron D 3xx series
That list indicates that your board is old enough to only be able to take 65nm C2D and below. No C2Q, no 45nm CPUs. Therefore, you are pretty-much maxed out. Just upgrade the RAM, consider throwing in a GPU like a GT620, if you have a PCI-E slot, and enough headroom on the PSU.

Skilled

Jan 18, 2014
The new RAM doesn't work at all in any slot single or both so will most likely just sell this back on. When I boot a black screen appeared with errors unable to boot

I moved the current RAM into 3 and 4 and put the RAM that i thought wasn't working (or which stopped working) into 1 and 2 and now get the full 4GB or max allowed as it were.

Will look into the graphics card as this may speed up programs as you say.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 20, 2013
@BonzaiDuck, I believe the Wolfdale E6700 that you're referring to is the Intel Pentium Processor E6700 (2M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 1066 FSB).
http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/24736/Wolfdale

The Conroe E6700 that I was referring to is the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6700 (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)
http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/2680/Conroe

The Wolfdale Pentium E6700 very likely would average more than 10% over the Conroe C2D Pentium E6600 on benchmarks.

@Skilled - Your memory slots are color coded. You are putting each pair in each colored set of memory slot.

That is 1 pair in blue and 1 pair in black; and you're not mixing pairs by placing 1 from each pair in a different color. Did not want to assume, thought to ask.

Interpretation of memory slot would have been:
1 3 2 4
1 2 3 4