Computer problem or not?

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I bought a premade computer from cyberpowerpc. When I priced it out, it was $40 more for them to do it than me.

So, the issue I am having is that when I power on the computer it is taking 20-24 seconds (yes, I timed it) for the motherboard logo to appear. Once this appears, it boots fine (boots fast from here on out) and runs fine. I have tried looking everywhere to figure out what is causing the long blank screen at the beginning of the boot process and not getting any clarity. My previous computer that is a few years old takes 5-6 seconds for the motherboard logo to appear and then boots up. Overall, the older computer is booting a lot faster which is annoying to me.

I have tried reseating all the cables, replacing the gpu and the RAM. The only thing I can think it can be is the motherboard. Am I overthinking this? The long load time for the motherboard logo makes no sense to me.

Here is a video of the long boot time:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not the longest post time I've seen, but it does seem a little slow getting to the splash screen.

I guess it could come down to how CyberPower configured the BIOS settings. They might have the settings to where it makes it slow (or a setting that is having issues, and forcing the machine to boot with a stable setting instead). Things like boot order, primary video display device,

What are the specs of the PC? Have you looked to see if there is a BIOS update available from Gigabyte for the board?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is this a 3000-series Ryzen? They seem to take a LONG time to POST, especially from a power-off/cold-boot scenario.

If this is an Intel rig, I don't know. Maybe the RAM timings are tight, and it's boot-looping until it decides to use fail-safe parameters to boot.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
Is this a 3000-series Ryzen? They seem to take a LONG time to POST, especially from a power-off/cold-boot scenario.

If this is an Intel rig, I don't know. Maybe the RAM timings are tight, and it's boot-looping until it decides to use fail-safe parameters to boot.
x2 -- My Ryzen 3000 series system takes a ridiculously long time to post -- unfortunately it seems normal for this platform. I was worried the first few times I fired it up, but it's just how they are. Never in my ~25 years of building PC's have my (desktop) systems taken this long to post...

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
It is a 3700x Ryzen, my first AMD. I have gone over the BIOS with them several times. I guess this is what it is then. All the specs seem right. Although, they did upgrade my PSU from a 750 to a 1000 for some reason.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
  • CABLE: None
  • CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
  • CARE2: Cooler Master Mastergel Maker CPU-Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
  • CAS: LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Mid-Tower Dual chamber Gaming Case w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Tempered glass on the front & side [+68] (Black Color)
  • CASUPGRADE: CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO individually addressable RGB lighting with software control Kit [+49]
  • CC: None
  • CD: None
  • COOLANT: None
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz [4.4GHz Turbo] 8 Cores/ 16 Threads 36MB Cache 65W Processor
  • CS_FAN: 3X 120mm Corsair LL Series, LL120 RGB, Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan with Lighting Node PRO [+119]
  • ENGRAVING: None
  • EVGA_POWER: None
  • FAN: Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate [+112] (3 x Standard 120MM Fans)
  • FREEBIE_VC1: NVIDIA Super Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Control [+0]
  • HDD: 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/3200 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 480/550k [+78] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: None
  • HEADSET: None
  • IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
  • KEYBOARD: Corsair K55 + HARPOON RGB Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo [+43]
  • MEMORY: 8GB (8GBx1) DDR4/3200MHz Memory [-32] (Corsair Vengeance LPX [+3])
  • MICROPHONE: None
  • MONITOR: None
  • MOPAD: None
  • MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X ATX w/ RGB, GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [+25]
  • MOUSE: None [-3]
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
  • POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - Corsair RMi Series RM750i 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Fully Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+97]
  • PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring + [Black] Phanteks Premium Extension Cables sleeved set [24Pin MB + 8Pin CPU + 6+2 Pin VGA] [+39]
  • PROJECTOR: None
  • PROMOSALE1: CyberPowerPC AULA Explosive 50mm Drive Analog Gaming Headset [White & Orange] [+5]
  • RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 5 to 10 Business Days
  • SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
  • SLI_BRIDGE: None
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • SPEAKERS: None
  • USBHD: None
  • USBX: None
  • VIDEO: MSI GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X TRIO 8GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] [+427] (Single Card)
  • VIVE_HEADSET: None
  • WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY
  • WNC: None
  • WTV: None
$2473 total with taxes (three day shipping was $24 and extra padding $19). When pricing the parts out, I came up with about a $45 difference at the time which including the extra two things just listed. So, the difference was $2 and having a single warranty.

I bought the RAM from Best Buy using reward points. I bought two Curcial 2 TB SSDs from Amazon. The RAM was marked up from about $170 at BB to around $250 or so from CPPC and the SSD was marked up from $230 to $298. Cutting out those and I about balanced it out just right.

The PSU was upgraded by them from a RM750i to a RM1000i for some reason.

I am still shocked at the slow loading times, but when it hits the logo for the motherboard, the computer goes fine. I took the answers here and also went on reddit and read that a lot of people are experiencing the long start times on cold boots. Motherboard manufacturers are looking into it. Thanks for the helpful answers.

The monitor I use is a Vizio P50-C1 that is over 2 years old and is fantastic. I went from a 26" or 27" ASUS that was 144 Hz and awesome to this so I could game and watch things in 4k.