Computer network problems - desktop pc only

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
This problem concerns my home network. I have no problems on the network anywhere else except for my desktop and this just started happening last week.

I can pull an IP address just fine and ping anywhere, but if I try to load a website, 1/2 the time I need to click refresh to get the site to finish loading. Doesn't matter what browser, chrome, i.e, or firefox, it does the same. Downloads will stop downloading, then sometimes mysteriously start back up after 10-15 seconds of inactivity. I can't watch netflix or youtube anymore as the videos stop buffering many times and then just pause on me. I've changed out my network cable with a known good one and no change. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my nic and even upgraded my drivers with no change. It's not just browsers either. My torrents will stop and restart randomly and I'm continually disconnecting from steam and then reconnecting a few seconds later. I see no problems anywhere though. I've restarted my routers, both wireless and my uverse incoming router as well as all associated switches with no change. I've bypassed my gigabit ethernet switch and plugged right into my uverse modem/router and the problem remains.

I'm very close to buying a pci nic and installing it to see if I have a failing onboard nic, but not sure that is the problem since it "mostly" works.

What else is next?

oh, I've also run malware scans using mbam, spynet, and sophos rootkit finder and they come back with a clean bill of health.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Everything you tried thus far is nice. But all of it is all Internet based.

Try next whether your local Network (like connecting to other computer and File transfer) is working well.

Doing so will give info on what hardware and or software or Internet Might or Might Not be involved.

:cool:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I can connect to other machines on my network except for a laptop. I can't ping the laptop and it can't ping my desktop, but its on another router on the same subnet that is being used as a wireless access point.

I have Uverse router --> Netgear wireless router used as a wireless access point. Also off my uverse router I have a gigabit switch that 4 wired devices are attached to. I can access any of the computers on that switch and see the computers fine. I can see my laptop as well, but it cannot connect to it. I even tried refreshing DNS.

Its weird because I have a printer attached to USB on my desktop. Originally, I was able to map to it from the dell laptop. Now that no longer works and I can't figure out why. Those two machines cannot ping each other and they are both using the 192.168.1.x ip schema with the same subnet mask and default gateway.

yugpatel

Feb 28, 2001
Did you check anti-virus setting on your troubled computer, especially if it is AVE?

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
don't think its my system after all

K4jWhQs.jpg

also this is a ping -t from my desktop to forums.anandtech.com

AR63cEC.jpg

I'm going to get on dslreports and see how to get ahold of a uverse person there. Those 71.150.x.x ip addresses are AT&T routers in Richardson, TX, and look to be dropping packets and having lots of issues.

Does that sound correct to you folks?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
It might be the Internet connection but your LAN is a mess too, fix it.

:cool:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
my lan's a mess? how do you figure? You can't see any of my lan and i'm using only one internal network scheme.

It's a very simple network.

SecurityTheatre

Aug 14, 2011
don't think its my system after all

K4jWhQs.jpg

also this is a ping -t from my desktop to forums.anandtech.com

AR63cEC.jpg

I'm going to get on dslreports and see how to get ahold of a uverse person there. Those 71.150.x.x ip addresses are AT&T routers in Richardson, TX, and look to be dropping packets and having lots of issues.

Does that sound correct to you folks?

Certainly sounds like an issue with your ISP to me.

No sense running out and doing something silly like wiping out your computer (?!?!?) until you know what the issue is.

See if you can find the cause of the drops. Ping local systems, ping remote systems, try pinging from your laptop to the Internet, etc.

If you can identify that it is your ethernet, or the ISP, or something else, then it will be more clear what to do.

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
I'd think, the fact that only his desktop has the issue and he already tried bypassing his home network with no change.. would rule out Both his ISP and home network.

I dunno what OS ur using or apps ur using, but Flash is one of the common things most ppl use that would be synonymous across browsers (since you tried multiple browsers aswell)

flash sites for me personally will also actup accationally for no reason If i don't accationally purge adobe flash cache. I dunno if you were reffering to ALL sites, or most sites which may have flash content (and your not using something such as NoScript or FlashBlock ?)

could try purging flash cache, and or completely uninstall the adobe flash plugin for testing.

Can delete anything in these locations,
These are the flash cache locations on XP,
Can search relative or google if differ for 7/8
C:\Documents and Settings\"name"\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects
C:\Documents and Settings\"name"\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

and or uninstall instructions
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

EDIT: oh yeah also just remembered MS has there own app similar to Flash called 'SilverLight' i think maybe wrong on the name i never used it. but that probably has similar issues if not more, IF thats enabled on your system may wana look into it aswell.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
well, since I started this, I went to my wife's computer that wasn't having problems before and it is also so its not localized to just mine.