Computer Lab Business

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
I was thinking of starting a computer lab business. It wouldn't be like a cyber cafe, but more like a college computer lab. Most people would pay a monthly membership fee to have unlimited access to the computers. People could also pay for a limited time access to a computer. The lab would start out with 10 XP Pro computers(more added as business increased) and a Windows Server 2003 machine in the back. There would be a laser printer, color ink jet, and scanner available as well. The workstations would be at least 3GHz P4s with 2GB of memory and share high-speed Internet access, such as a 1.54Mbps T-1. They would all have a pretty full line of application software such as Office XP and Photoshop. Each user would get their own user account on the domain with space on the server for their own documents.

I was wondering what people here thought about the chances enough customers would pay to use a lab like this?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Your initial investment in software, machines, etc would take a hell of a long time to make up. I don't really see people paying monthly member ship fees to join a computer cafe unless they are able to have 24-7 access, but even with 24-7 access available I still doubt many people would pay monthly fees. Exactly how much were you thinking of charging per month?

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
i would target the european market. italy and spain etc.... Plenty of students and adults that tdont have access in there homes.

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003
to many people have there own computers its not worth it IMO

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
your gunna end up spending a TON to get that.

add in 1000$ month for T1, 4grand initial OS cost, prolly 15grand computer cost, 3grand printer cost, 1grand network cost, location cost, electricity, umm 20grand initial cost for the tools on the computer, unless you run a SUPA fast server, and only have one copy of the programs and it all runs through a gigabit line.

MIKE

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Your initial investment in software, machines, etc would take a hell of a long time to make up. I don't really see people paying monthly member ship fees to join a computer cafe unless they are able to have 24-7 access, but even with 24-7 access available I still doubt many people would pay monthly fees. Exactly how much were you thinking of charging per month?

I agree. Are they going to be able to install programs on the computers? How are you going to advertise?

You'd have to be in a location where most people don't have access to computers, but those same people need access to computers. I'm not sure it's a financially sound business model.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Why would people pay to use this? College students wouldn't use it, they have the labs at school they can use for free. Professionals wouldn't use it, they'd just use the machines at work. Most other people have thier own computers at home with Office on them... and most people that don't have no interest in using office or photoshop.

Let's see, initial investment: 10 computers at $1000 each, 1 server at $2000, 10 copies office XP, $500 each, 10 copies of photoshop, $500 each.

$22,000 in equipment so far. Let's talk prices:

Let's say you're open 10 hours a day, at $5/hour. You are CONSTANTLY full of customers. You're making $50/hr, or $500/day.

It would take you 44 days to pay for the equipment, if you didn't have to pay rent, or salaries, or electricity bills. That's assuming you had fantastic business, which you wont, because no one needs the service you want to provide.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
First thing to think about is: who would your customers be?

How do you appeal to people with broadband/cable? More speed won't do it. Is it that they can use apps at your place they don't have at home? What about access to a large-format color inkjet printer? That's one thing nobody has. You can get a refurb HP for under $1700. What does Kinko's charge for that?

You need to give people a reason to come to your place instead of staying at home. What about training?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Why would people pay to use this? College students wouldn't use it, they have the labs at school they can use for free. Professionals wouldn't use it, they'd just use the machines at work. Most other people have thier own computers at home with Office on them... and most people that don't have no interest in using office or photoshop.

Let's see, initial investment: 10 computers at $1000 each, 1 server at $2000, 10 copies office XP, $500 each, 10 copies of photoshop, $500 each.

$22,000 in equipment so far. Let's talk prices:

Let's say you're open 10 hours a day, at $5/hour. You are CONSTANTLY full of customers. You're making $50/hr, or $500/day.

It would take you 44 days to pay for the equipment, if you didn't have to pay rent, or salaries, or electricity bills. That's assuming you had fantastic business, which you wont, because no one needs the service you want to provide.

my example was better dude :D

MIKE

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: cybpnk
to many people have there own computers its not worth it IMO

people that need a computer lab are generally in college. I think most colleges have free computer labs. If you r talking about a PC to do some quick work on, check out kinkos. They have offered a similar service for years.

owensdj

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2000
amdskip, I'm in a small city in South Carolina of about 20,000 people.

minendo, that's a good question. I was thinking of a monthly membership of $50. That's only slightly more than what you would pay just for broadband Internet for your home.

notfred, I was thinking most of the customers would be Middle and High School students who don't have a computer with Internet access at home. Most of those who do have a home computer only have dial-up access and almost no software.

kranky, I think computer classes could be part of the business as well.

A few of you mentioned Kinkos. We don't have a Kinkos near here.

WannaFly

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: owensdj
amdskip, I'm in a small city in South Carolina of about 20,000 people.

minendo, that's a good question. I was thinking of a monthly membership of $50. That's only slightly more than what you would pay just for broadband Internet for your home.
HOLY SH*T, $50/month, i know ALOT of middle and high school students with that kinda of money to wast...er, spend. </sarcasm>

Anyway, thats WAY too much IMO, you'd be better off doing a cheap hourly rate. Really, this business model isnt worth it, after paying employees, rent, electricity. Also, what would you do about people viewing pr0n?

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The only way you could be even remotely successful is if you were to actually make it a cafe. I think notfred's example was the best; the only people willing to pay for it would need a value-add; coffee, atmosphere, etc..

Plenty of people seem to enjoy sitting around the local Starbucks' doing who knows what, so it's my opinion that you'd need a large dose of trend in order to be success. May I call bar? :)

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
notfred, I was thinking most of the customers would be Middle and High School students who don't have a computer with Internet access at home. Most of those who do have a home computer only have dial-up access and almost no software.
I know around here, when school is out, the public libraries offer free/cheap terminals. They are pretty fast and have broadband.