Computer keeps Locking Up

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by EpicSurvivor, Nov 16, 2012.

1. EpicSurvivor

EpicSurvivor Senior member

So its me again, I'm really having problems with my PC, I had a thread about this but I concluded on one of my post that the issue had being resolved, however the issue is back again. So, I thought it would be proper to just do a new thread so people didn't get confused, I decided to do it on "Computer Help" because I feel that even though it involves gaming applications, its not about games, and figured I'd probably get better help posting here. So I hope I don't get scolded for re-posting. So just bare with me here.

Current Situations is as follows. I did a Fresh Install of Windows 7 64-bit Professional this morning by deleting the old partition since I didn't need any of the old files, I'd thought this would fix any issues I had but it didn't. My whole computer is running at Stock Speeds, nothing is OC. I have 5 Fans and I frequently monitor my temperature, and I have NOT seeing them out of the ordinary, so ventilation is not an issue. I recorded a short video maybe you guys can get a better picture of what the issue is. The game runs smoothly, with no lag, stutters, or Drop in FPS, then with out any warning my whole computer Locks up. When this happens I tried Alt+F4, Alt+Tab, Ctrl+Alt+Del and nothing responds, the mouse is froze and so is the keyboard and there is this annoying sound. However, the lights and the fans are running just fine. Only option I have when it locks up like this is to do a hard shut down by holding the power button. This issue has happened to me 3 times in less than a week :'(, it just happened about an hour ago, again, and this time it was after Fresh Windows install.

I ran a a Stress test yesterday and put my CPU at 100% load for an hour, I had no crashes, and my temps stayed at a solid 61C. I then did the stress test on my memory for about 45 minutes and had no issues. I really don't know what its causing this, because I keep my computer free from dust build up.

Is it faulty GPU, CPU, RAM, MoBo? Perhaps there is fluctuating current coming through the power outlet?

What ever it is, its driving me nuts, the thought that my $1,600 investment could be ruined is a very unpleasant feeling.:twisted:

http://youtu.be/PBlQ4mfVJWg

#1 EpicSurvivor, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Computer Locking Forum Date
    Computer freezes, locks up temporarily or blue screen only when gaming Computer Help Feb 21, 2016
    computer simply locked up Computer Help Apr 25, 2014
    Upgraded CPU, now computer locks up Computer Help Jan 5, 2014
    What would cause a computer to randomly lock up? Computer Help Dec 28, 2013
    Computer locking up when idle/prior to sleep Computer Help Jun 23, 2013

3. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

i would start suspecting the HD.if you go on samsung site they have a tool for HD. just like seatool and wd. give it a try

4. EpicSurvivor

Its running now, I'm estimating is going to take about another hour because I did the long option. I'll post results when its finished.

5. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

6. EpicSurvivor

I know is completely different Memory and MoBo Models but I had an Asus G73 which had the same exact issue as on the video I posted. The power outlet I'm using for my rig is exactly the same I was using for my my G73, The only consistent factor is the power outlet is the same one I used for both computers and that both computers had the exact same type of Lock Up/Freezing Issue, like on the video I posted, literally no difference at all.

Its either huge coincidence or I'm unto something here. I don't have the G73 anymore but I used to plug it on the same outlet that I'm using for my current rig.

Things to consider
    1) Two different computers with different hardware but from the same Manufacturer "Asus", both experiencing the same type of Lock up while In games. So possibly Asus hardware issue? (Coincidence?)
    2) However there is only one thing that has not changed from when I had my G73 and with my new Rig and that is that I'm using the same power outlet I was using with my G73.
    Does it make sense now?

I'm feeling strongly about 2, just don't know how this could be affecting it, if any. Its just too much coincidence if you ask me.

Is confusing but do you see what I'm saying?

7. EpicSurvivor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for the Realtek observation, is not the issue because its trying to play the bg music and comp freezes so it loops the music.

8. kache

kache Senior member

What GPU are you using? If it's an nvidia check if there are issues of pstates not switching properly.

9. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

Wow! you did memtest.i think.now realtek is ok.you did reseat the cpu.did you swap psu??

10. EpicSurvivor

Its on my signature

11. EpicSurvivor

Not an option, don't have a spare one nor do I know someone who does.

12. AnonymouseUser

Dirty power is certainly a possibility, so have the outlet tested by a certified electrician or at least get a UPS with AVR. Even if it doesn't solve the lockup issue you really should have a UPS to protect your valuable equipment.

13. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member

If you suspect the power outlet might be a problem, try a different outlet even if it means moving the computer somewhere else (or running a long heavy-duty extension cord) for a while.

14. EpicSurvivor

Yea, simple stuff like this could be the way to fix this problem, because we have noticed at home that the power levels fluctuate, so one day the lights are brighter and other days they are very dim. Not that they alternate like this in a matter of minutes like a brown out but its almost as if we only receive half the normal current at times. Very odd O_O Must be cause we live out in the country.

15. AnonymouseUser

If it's that bad and your house is old then your house wiring could be in really bad shape, which could lead to a house fire. It could shorten the life of many of your electronics as well. I would get it checked, and definitely get a UPS with AVR.

16. EpicSurvivor

Yea, I'll look for one, but no this house is only 5 years old. Its the town problem.

17. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

did you test the power in your house with a voltmeter.don't if you are not familiar with ac power for shock.anyway it should be from 110 to 125 volt depend what area.it should be stable with a raise of .5 but if it drop bellow 110 then its the problem.otherwise test the psu.

18. EpicSurvivor

Okay, thank you, I'll make sure to find a way to check.

19. kache

kache Senior member

Couldn't see that on the cellphone.
    So it's an nvidia. Use nvidianspector to monitor the pstate continuously. If you see that the PC freezes while in p12 then you have the same issue I have on my laptop.

20. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Had this problem at a relative's house. Problem turned out to be moisture had corroded the contacts on the meter outside. House was sometimes not receiving proper power from one leg.

I would most definitely get that checked out ASAP by a qualified electrician.

21. EpicSurvivor

#20 EpicSurvivor, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  22. AnonymouseUser

It should not look like that, so I would suspect the video card. Pull the GTX 680 and use the onboard video for another Memtest.

23. Smoove910

Smoove910 Golden Member

<--- thinks videocard or videocard drivers... Reinstall the latest drivers from NVidia. You may also try downloading and installing the latest chipset drivers for your mobo.

24. AnonymouseUser

There is no way that is a driver issue since Memtest boots independent of the OS.

25. Smoove910

Smoove910 Golden Member

^ k boss...