Computer keeps freezing!

EvanGeliSt

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2002
Yesterday decided once and for all to clean my old 4 yr old CPU @ home... which freezes quite often (even browsing browsers too) ...

Amount of dirt amassed: 2 Kleenex tissues.

Computer specs: AMD XP 2000+
CPU Fan: Something cheap
Mobo: MSI can't-recall-what-since-i'm-in-office-now
CPU Voltage: 1.7V

List of temperature to start with (all in celcius!)
CPU: 70 degrees (AMD XP 2000+)
Mobo: 32 degrees
Harddisk: 40degrees

1) I reduced the CPU voltage down to 1.675. The CPU temp reduced to around 66 degrees idle. *Newfound happiness*. Read some articles online - been said that as long as the CPU is somewhat still stable when it registers @ 1.63 - 1.7V. Computer still freezes.. but less frequent.

2) Took out heatsink and saw the remaining Artic Silver on it... what a mess. Didn't do much research earlier - as long as the AS's thick on the CPU core, i figured that it'll work. With more research: the thermal paste is supposed to be as thin as possible.

3) Note I'm not in US now so some materials come rare and expensive - No isopropyl alcohol... household solvents didn't work. Now dental hygiene comes useful. I used listerine mint flavored (21.6% alcohol) & Q-tip. Seemed to work quite well with no residues.

4) Bot a really cheap one white thermal paste A-350 (Sounds like a cheesy generic brand). Applied it really thinly with a plastic bag over my fingers. Really tedious process of getting it even.

5) Installed it after cleaning fans. Guess what? The temperature shot to 77 degrees idle. The thin layer earlier just became a thin colorless layer. No need to second guess wat happened there.

6) Redid the whole process (heatsink copper area was somewhat damaged earlier so i rotated 180) This time I reapplied the whole thing using Q-tip... slightly thicker layer. Idle CPU temp 33 degrees!!

For the novices like me too, if you notice your com freezing, it's likely overheating somewhere. Quick lessons: make sure u apply the paste properly... The material used doesn't really matter that much. Some even used toothpaste :-D Save ur $$ :)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: EvanGeliSt
5) Installed it after cleaning fans. Guess what? The temperature shot to 77 degrees idle.

6) Redid the whole process (heatsink copper area was somewhat damaged earlier so i rotated 180)... Idle CPU temp 33 degrees!!

My guess is that it was installed wrong the first time, because socket A heatsinks generally go on properly only one way, and if it is turned 180º it would not make proper contact, thus overheating the chip.

Kudos though on getting your CPU down to 33º.