computer hangs up when opening downloads folder, can anyone help?

Aug 11, 2008
I am having a strange problem with my computer when trying to open folders. What happens, is that occasionally it will hang up trying to open a folder or when trying to move a file to the recycling bin. It usually takes five to ten seconds to open the folder or move a file(even a small one) to the recycling bin. When trying to open a folder (not a file, just the folder itself), the green bar at the top of the folder will move slowly like the computer is doing a full search. Eventually the folder will open. If you re-open it right away, it usually will open the same folder quickly. The folder that I usually have problems with is the downloads folder: C, users, my username, downloads.

It is an Acer off the shelf system, E4500, low power 9800GT (I added this card), 3gb ram, Vista 32bit, 300watt power supply. I replaced the hard drive less than a year ago because the original one failed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening, and if it is just a glitch or is it the indicator of major problems to come? I did do a clean reinstall when I replaced the hard drive. At the present it is just a minor annoyance, but I am wondering if the hard drive is failing again or windows is corrupted. I run MS Security essentials, and have scanned for malware with Advanced System Care, Ad Aware, CC Cleaner and Malware Bytes.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Sounds like the HDD is requiring a lot of retries to complete the read operations. Sounds like another bad drive to me. If you use the manufacturer's diagnostic tools and get an error, you should be able to RMA.

Slugbait

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
...like the computer is doing a full search. Eventually the folder will open. If you re-open it right away, it usually will open the same folder quickly. The folder that I usually have problems with is the downloads folder: C, users, my username, downloads.

Excellent description of the problem.

As with the Indexing Service in XP, Windows Search in Vista can also bork performance on some machines. For example, when moving a file to the Recycle Bin, Windows Search is apparently indexing during the process of moving the file for its database.

Try this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...ws-vista-search-indexer-and-indexing-service/. I think there may also be a newer version of Windows Search at Microsoft Update, that also may fix this problem.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Also, does Vista have the "customize" tab on directory properties, with the "optimize this folder for" dropdown? If so, you can also try setting that to, "documents," which keeps it from trying to read and display format-specific metadata, which it seems to re-read every time it refreshes that folder view (you will lose the ability for Explorer to slightly change its view based on the most common type of file in that folder; so if you happen to like that feature, use this only on problem folders).

Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. I turned off the indexing service and moved some large files out of the downloads folder and so far I have not had the hang up problem.
I hope this solves the problem permanently. I also hope this is not a hard drive problem. I seem to have a problem with hard drives. The last one lasted less than 3 years and the one before that in a different computer only about 2 years.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
I also hope this is not a hard drive problem. I seem to have a problem with hard drives. The last one lasted less than 3 years and the one before that in a different computer only about 2 years.
Check the Windows System Events Log for "DISK" or "NTFS" errors.

It wouldn't hurt to run the Windows or DOS (boot disk) version of one or two disk diagnostics programs provided by the various disk makers.