Question Computer Freezes, POST Issues, Crashes

xKernalSandersx

May 19, 2020
I don't even know where to begin with the issues I have been experiencing with my new build. It has been running smoothly for about a month, then randomly started some major issues with freezing, artifacts, POST issues, BSOD, WHEA errors, etc.

Build:
Intel i5 9600KF (have have a K model coming as I made the stupid choice to get the F model)
ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming
EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra
PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2PK x 8GB) 2.4 GHz DDR4
*NOTE: I have swapped my RAM with Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 to diagnose if it was RAM
EVGA 650 PSU
Noctua CPU Cooler

No overclocking, let me start there. I think maybe I turned on the turbo mode within the BIOS and possibly that might have caused this issue.

The issues first started last week where it would just freeze up, the whole system would just lock up. Restarted and it was fine, no issues for about 15 minutes and did it again. Tried a total reinstall of Windows which again solved the issue but then froze again. After another attempt I was able to get Windows installed and then was running fine for about a day - then I got a total freeze again, but this time the monitor was strange blues, blacks and reds scattered around the screen.

After this, I ended up not even getting past POST, no beeps or warnings from the motherboard. After doing a CMOS reset I was able to get past POST and into BIOS, did a flash of the BIOS to make sure I had the newest version. Started up again, went to get Windows installed and it started freezing up within the Windows install.

I installed my new RAM, did a CMOS reset again and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Started up and again am getting frozen within Windows setup and cannot even get it to install. I tried to run memtest which also froze. There is no freezing or issues when staying just in BIOS.

Temps are fine, nothing is spiking, no random shutdowns - but constant freezing. Thought I would get an Ubuntu stick created so I could try running Ubuntu to diagnose something - but here I am today with the below image and that is where I am stuck. My new CPU should arrive today, but I am starting to think that this may be a GPU issue.

Can anyone help me? This is my 4th computer build and I have never ever run into an issue like this before. I am at a loss, I am not sure what else to do - if my CPU swap fixes the issues I'll update the post. PLEASE HELP!

xKernalSandersx

May 19, 2020
Did you try running with 1 memory stick installed?

I did yes, that was with the old RAM - not the new sticks though. I wasn't sure if I had to do that yet again as the current RAM is brand new.

Surprisingly, when I had 1 stick with the last set - it was the longest it went without a crash (having 8 GB).

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I did yes, that was with the old RAM - not the new sticks though. I wasn't sure if I had to do that yet again as the current RAM is brand new.

Surprisingly, when I had 1 stick with the last set - it was the longest it went without a crash (having 8 GB).
How long are you talking? Hours, days, weeks? New stuff can be broke too!!

xKernalSandersx

May 19, 2020
Your symptoms sound like you might be overheating. Did you happen to watch it during the time it was working?

Yeah, the temps are sitting around 30 - 35 C on the CPU. The heat doesn't seem to be the issue on that front. I am not having any random shutdowns, there are no heat errors, I have no fans malfunctioning.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Yeah, the temps are sitting around 30 - 35 C on the CPU. The heat doesn't seem to be the issue on that front. I am not having any random shutdowns, there are no heat errors, I have no fans malfunctioning.
Okay, then you have to start replacing hardware, and getting a new CPU is a good start. Let me know how it goes once you have the new CPU installed.

xKernalSandersx

May 19, 2020
Okay, then you have to start replacing hardware, and getting a new CPU is a good start. Let me know how it goes once you have the new CPU installed.

CPU was the culprit! Plopped in the new one and reseated all cables, ran without GPU and went fine, started up with the GPU back in and runs like a dream. Quiet, 28 - 31 temps on the CPU. Life is good again 👌