Computer freezes, black screen and case lights on

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
Hi, I have a problem with a computer that's starting to make me desperate.

Randomly it will stop sending monitor signal, and it will behave as if it were turned off, but the case lights and fans keep working.

It started happening every few days, and now it happens several times per day, although I've never been in front of the screen when it happened.

The system in question is:

-Intel i3 2120 - Stock fan
-Gygabite GA-H61MA-D3V
-2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X PC3-10666
-OCZ Vertex 3 60GB
-WD Green
-WD Scorio Blue
-PSU Tacens Radix V 550W
-Windows 7 Home Edition

It's plugged directly to a SAI, so no voltage spikes. it does not have any USB plugged.

The system is essentially a file server, it's also using 40% of CPU time for Folding@Home.

Things I did:

-Scan it with malwarebytes (it came clean)
-San it with Avast
-Clean it wits Ccleaner
-Checkdisk to the boot drive
-Looked for crash dumps (none)
-1h prime95 stress test (didn't crash)
-Logged temps (never goes over 55ºC in normal use, 64ºC running prime 95)
-Checked the RAM with Memtest86 (clean)
-Ran verifier.exe (only an issue with DAEMON Tools driver, checked on internet and it's a common one, so it's not the problem)

The only cle I have is that in the error log each time it crashes I get a 6008 error followed by a 41 critical error, but they are related and too generic, at least for me.

Does someone have a clue?

P.S.: I wold prefer not to format it, because it's a critical computer and I would have to do it overnight. Also It has some propietary software that I have to ask the company that gave it to me to connect using temviewer and install it, so formating is the last option.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
You might want to check the Power settings for sleep, turn off display, and turn off hard disk.

If you haven't already, I would also recommend you try out another cable to your monitor.

If neither of those help, you may want to look into finding a video card you can use to rule that part out. I assume you are using the integrated graphics?

When the screen does go out, do you hear any strange noises like fans/hard drives spinning up or down?

ggadrian

May 23, 2013
You might want to check the Power settings for sleep, turn off display, and turn off hard disk.

If you haven't already, I would also recommend you try out another cable to your monitor.

If neither of those help, you may want to look into finding a video card you can use to rule that part out. I assume you are using the integrated graphics?

When the screen does go out, do you hear any strange noises like fans/hard drives spinning up or down?

I'm using the integrated graphics, but I can try to find a video card so see if that's the problem.

The monitor cable is all right, I also tried with different monitors and cables, just forgot to write it.

And no, the computer is pretty much like off when it happens, no strange noise, falls from network and doesn't respond to keyboard.