Computer exits standby automatically and refuses to exit hybernation

unfalliblekrutch

Golden Member
May 2, 2005
My computer in question is an HP Pavilion ze4610us model laptop, stock, from which i added 1x256mb kingstom ddr2100 memory, and changed the hard drive from a 4200rpm to a seagate momentus 5400.1 harddrive.

This computer is working fine and always has been, but a few months ago, the computer started having this wierd problem where it would just suddently stop loading windows when coming out of hybernation. At the point where it should go from the hybernation loading screen to the windows logon screen, it will just suddenly freeze and I have to hit the power button to reboot. So i decide, no problem, I'll just use standby. After a few months of using standby instead of hybernation, one day, i start getting pop-ups (i'm not sure if this is related to the problem). I spent a lot of time and energy trying to get rid of these pop-ups, but after trying 5+ programs, and disabling various services, startup programs, etc. the pop ups are still there. So i switch from IE to FF, again, no problem. However, I soon found out that anytime i put the computer into standby, it would wait between 2 and 5 seconds, then start itself back into windows. I'm guessing all these problems would go away with a reformat, however, at this point, i really do not want to spend the 5+ hours reinstalling windows and installing all my programs and getting it to the way i like it.
Basically my question is, are these 3 things possibly related in any way, and does anyone have any idea how to fix any of the 3 problems?

EDIT:
my system specs are:
athlon xp-m 2500+
2x256mb ddr2100
40gb 5400rpm HDD
dvd/cd-rw

Also I'd like to mention that both hybernation and standby have worked before.