Computer died need cpu advice

SelenaGomez

May 30, 2016
MY computer died and could I need to get a new cpu, mobo and ram now. I have been out of the market for 4 years so i need advice on what to get. Im upset that im reading that good things are coming in january or febuary but I cant wait, So what cpu should I buy? I game mainly.

Aug 11, 2008
There are plenty of good choices now. All that is coming in January (or sometime early 2017) is Kaby Lake desktop and Zen. Kaby Lake is just current Skylake on a slightly better process so stock clocks are higher, and it may overclock slightly better. The only real improvement will be better video codecs on the igpu. Zen is the new cpu from AMD, and despite all the speculation, nobody really knows the price, performance, or whether the availability will be good. It should offer competitive performance to intel, but I seriously doubt it will best skylake except in a few specific scenarios like more cores at a cheaper price. So I see no reason to wait to upgrade. What do you want to use the system for, and what is your budget?

SelenaGomez

May 30, 2016
Well its going to really bother me buying new cpu mobo when a new cpu arcithecture is being released in 2 months. Itll get under my skin especially since prices will drop for the 6600k soon as well when they get released. I just read that i can get a z170 mobo that supports ddr3. That would save me from buyin ram as i have 16 gb ddr3. Is the new kabylake going tobe a differnt socket? Or will I be able to swap to the new kaby lake when they are released? Then I woulldnt care

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
In your OP you stated you had to replace RAM as well, which implied it was defective. Just how many parts in your old computer are still functional?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Ive made my mindup. I'm getting 6600k, asus z170-a, gskill ddr4 3000 with a corsair h100i v2

Those seem like reasonably good choices. There had been some assertions from a longtime member that the 6700K would more or less smoke the i5 chip, but I suspect that at likely optimal overclock speeds, it could still be a good bet.

I got the 6700K and I'm happier than a pig in s***. The Z170-A board is likely to be a decent board for the price. there must be some web-forum discussions somewhere and some reviews of the board, but it's an established part of the ASUS model lines.

The G.SKILL kit should work with that board. Just be sure you dig into the G.SKILL support "configurator" and use sensible extrapolations from the motherboard's QVL list. Were they TridentZ's, or RipJaws V? Both of those will work in my Sabertooth Z170.

My experience with the DDR4-3200 kit defied early reported frustrations with my board, awaiting a BIOS version fix with which my board shipped by the time I ordered it. For tweaking, the prevailing advice was to run the RAM at 2133 initially, set the CPU clock and then try for the spec RAM clock. I don't believe that was necessary with the G.SKILLs. I believe I might have just set their XMP profile at 3200 and then overclocked the CPU. But it pays to be patient and cautious.

Last edited: