Computer desk Solution needed!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Considering how long you use a desk its worth it imo. Same goes for a monitor and chair. 3 things you use the most on a computer but are negated the most is sad.
Decent chairs and monitors cost money, but desks that have 90% of the function of a high-end regular desk can be had extremely cheaply.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
To bad you miss out on the fine things in life.

So says you. I can build a better desk than that myself with half the money.

Is it you who's missing out?

Seriously though. Is a desk a fine thing in life? It's a table that your crap goes on. You spend half the money on that desk and you get a new PC with the rest. I guess I don't see the need to spend outrageous amounts of money on something I set my beer on.

Last edited:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I use a simple rectangular folding table. Very cheap, and provides a lot of space.

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
You never had a good quality desk then. :p
I have used very good desks. They all have largely the same ergonomics as long as they have enough surface area, are at the correct height (which depends both on user and chair) and do not have crap underneath bumping into your legs. Displays are best adjusted either with good stock stands or with monitor arms. Speakers are best placed on stands or stuck on walls. A cable tray can be bolted on the underside of a cheap desk as easily as on an expensive desk.

I may end up paying a lot for a regular home desk in the future, but my motivation in doing so would be to get something that looks good and fits neatly into my interior. Not performance.

Non-regular desks, like adjustable height motorized desks, do have functionality that significantly differs from what any cheap desk can provide. It's another matter whether you need that functionality.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
This is what I use for my pc area. I bought from Ikea a few years back except my desk has rollers on the bottom of the legs. I have two monitors (both flat screen) one being for my PC and another being a Sony Google TV (that also serves as a second PC monitor when I need the extra workspace on my pc's desktop) along with my keyboard, mouse, and 2 speakers, DTV setop box and lastly router on the desk itself. Even with all of that on my desk I still have enough elbow room to do writing if I need too.

My PC case goes underneath the table along with two 2 cheapo Target plastic bins with 3 drawers about 2ft +/- in height to hold misc. stuff.

galant-desk__20944_PE105995_S4.jpg

Last edited:

xioticin

May 5, 2012
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2140727&navAction=push

or

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod2140735&navAction=push

I am thinking these two options.. possibly buying some risers then putting another board on the risers to give the tv and monitor lift. I could get, or use what I have, a rolling board to place my pc on below the desk. I would purchase a keyboard tray to put under the desk. The risers would make space for the xbox and cable box as well. This space could also house the router. I could then place the modem behind the tv or monitor, or just find a little spot to slide it.

DeskSetup.jpg

Any opinions, comments?! :D

xioticin

May 5, 2012
DeskSetup-1.jpg

Possible solution for cable and power management. Using cable wraps and hooks for the pc power cable and speakers

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
So says you. I can build a better desk than that myself with half the money.

Is it you who's missing out?

Seriously though. Is a desk a fine thing in life? It's a table that your crap goes on. You spend half the money on that desk and you get a new PC with the rest. I guess I don't see the need to spend outrageous amounts of money on something I set my beer on.

Ok get started and let me see the "better desk than that myself with half the money". Lets take pictures to compare when you are done.

How is $1000 outrageous for something that will last you a LIFETIME vs a hundred crappy desks that keep having problems? its not.

Never mind the fact peoples setups change all the time. You can invest in a desk like this and don't have to worry, or spend all the time you have buying/modifying desks over the years or be like me and no worries.

Guess its all perspective :D

xioticin

May 5, 2012
Ok ok, money wars over on who's setup will be superior based on spending! I am just seeking input on my project, not who makes the better decision in the long run!

And a side note on all of this, as technology gets smaller, you will need less space to house your beast machines. Cable management is getting easier with smaller cables on periphs as well. Wireless is taking over. I am doing this on my moderate budget because I am not just flush with money and can't justify that expense. It is all subjective when money is concerned.

Does anyone have anything to say about my latest updates?! lol

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
I like it. One thing I would do with the CPU is that when you start to bundle your wires together, leave enough slack in the cables to pull it out from under the table.

As a personal note I dislike keyboard trays mounted underneath a desk. I've found that the lower height does nothing to help me and, in fact, gets in the way of my chair when I sit down. Just something to think about.

xioticin

May 5, 2012
Well the keyboard tray will be one of the last things to deal with :D I currently dont use one my table setup and I have yet to have a real issue. So I will cross that bridge when I get to it