Computer dead to world

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
Hi Everyone,
I realize this is a vague question, but I built a i5 computer about 1.5 years ago and a few days ago when removing a dvi cable while running (switching monitors) the computer shut off and won't turn back on. I bought a nice PSU to see if that was it but it still doesn't turn on. (No fans, lights, or anything) I have a gigabyte ga-p55m-ud2 motherboard. How can I go about diagnosing this? Will the fans still spin on even if I do things like remove hard disks, video cards etc? I ironically agreed to build a computer for a friend about an hour before this happened so I do have computer parts coming that I could play around with a bit, but the motherboard and processor are not the same generation.
Thanks so much!

pete1229

Feb 12, 2011
Well it might not be such a good idea to to hot plug a dvi cable. I think the only thing you can try is resetting the cmos, but it sounds like the mobo is fried. If all your case fans are connected to the mobo, than no, they won't spin no matter what you remove.

excalibur3

Oct 14, 2005
Yeah I guess I assumed that since you can hot plug dvi cables on laptops it shouldn't be any different here. Definitely a stupid move on my part. Is there any way to make sure that it is the motherboard? I don't mind buying a new one but it would be unfortunate if it was something else.

Denis thanks for the tip and that is actually what I did because I had a crappy psu before. Now with a brand new antec psu it still doesn't seem to power on.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
You determine whether it is the motherboard by process of elimination. However, since this mobo does not have onboard video, if it were mine, I'd swap out the video card first.

The motherboard should spin up fans with a processor installed. Disconnect or remove everything but the memory and the CPU and see what happens. Anything that plugs into the mobo, except the PS and the power button connector of course should be disconnected. Any add in cards, like the video card should be removed. Press the start button and see what happens. If it still acts dead, remove the memory and try again.

If the fans spin up, add one component at a time, but in this case, I would cross my fingers that the video card is the problem.