computer crash data question

waldoh

Mar 3, 2013
If I suffer a computer crash and it takes out the system drive, will/can it also take out the other drives?

The other drives will just have files stored on them, no programs or os files (that I know of).

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Depends what you mean by "crash". A power surge could take out both, a software issue would generally only affect the boot drive. Crypto/Ransomware will affect both.

waldoh

Mar 3, 2013
I am not worried about a power surge. Just trying to prevent damage in a software related issue.

I could load up my pc with multiple storage options, or I could keep the extra storage separate and just run a single 1 tb ssd on the system.

I suppose the external is better for data protection, but figured I would ask.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
There is nothing to prevent damage, except backups.

There is no other way around it.
BTW, I have seen far more external units fail than internal drives.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
BTW, I have seen far more external units fail than internal drives.
If they're in frequent/near-constant use, yes. As a "connect - back up - disconnect" device, they're decently reliable.

But other than that, you're absolutely right. Backups are the only thing that can prevent data loss.

OP: Having more drives lowers the chance of losing all your data in case of a single drive failure, but increases the chance of having a drive failure at all (more parts = more parts that can fail). If you're considering spending the money for a 1TB SSD, I'd spring the slight extra expense for a 2-3TB backup drive as well. Save a OS drive image to it and set Windows to use it as a file history drive. You'd still have plenty of space left for media storage or other space-consuming uses where the speed of an SSD isn't necessary.

waldoh

Mar 3, 2013
If they're in frequent/near-constant use, yes. As a "connect - back up - disconnect" device, they're decently reliable.

But other than that, you're absolutely right. Backups are the only thing that can prevent data loss.

OP: Having more drives lowers the chance of losing all your data in case of a single drive failure, but increases the chance of having a drive failure at all (more parts = more parts that can fail). If you're considering spending the money for a 1TB SSD, I'd spring the slight extra expense for a 2-3TB backup drive as well. Save a OS drive image to it and set Windows to use it as a file history drive. You'd still have plenty of space left for media storage or other space-consuming uses where the speed of an SSD isn't necessary.

I was planning on setting up a backup drive, but does it matter whether or not its inside the system connected via SATA or outside connected via USB? from a reliability standpoint.

I also use online backup services as an additional copy but am not ready to setup my own offsite backup solution.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I was planning on setting up a backup drive, but does it matter whether or not its inside the system connected via SATA or outside connected via USB? from a reliability standpoint.

What would happen if you had a power surge that fried your PC? The backup drive connected to a SATA could die along with everything else.

If it's irreplaceable data, an external unit that is not connected to the PC all the time is the safest route.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
external drives and backups.. I not only have yet to have one of my external drives die yet, but I actually make TWO backups on separate drives. I used to rely on DVDs but the number of them got out of hand for my video stuff. with the frequent sale on 2gb external drives it became cost effective to buy two of them at a time. At the same time it made it easier to keep stuff mounted as network drives.