Computer components turn on but no display on monitor

DavidoFoo

Nov 28, 2004
Last night I decided to reapply some thermal paste onto my heatsink, because I reckon I did it incorrectly the last time I tried and was getting some high, high temps(50+ C idle).
Specs
C2D e6300
x9100xt
2 x 1 GB Patriot PC5300
Gigabyte DS3
Tagan 450W(not sure about the wattage)

All I did was relap the thermal paste, put that heatsink back on and attempt to start the mother. What it did after I hit the power button on was that all fans would turn on, but my graphics card fan wouldnt slow down like it normally would, and there would be no image on my monitor(doesn't recognize a computer connected to it).

I've tried reseating my video card, reseating the ram, reapplying the thermal grease, resetting CMOS, one ram stick at a time and in different slots, and as of writing this, im going to try and start the computer up with bare necessities (graphics card, cpu, 1 stick of ram). Since I'm living away from home for college, I don't have easy access to another stick of ram or video card so I'm making do. All I did was try to reapply my cpu, why oh why? Thanks for the help in advance guys.

DavidoFoo

Nov 28, 2004
just checked em. 24-pin, and atx 12v, and 6-pin molex for the gpu are in tight. However, I was wondering how a broken plastic pin on my heatsink would affect my cpu. Only one of the four pins are broken. Maybe I did permanent damage to the CPU?

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
That would cause the HS not to site properly and the CPU to overheat. Thus causing major problems. Like the ones you are having. Replace the mounting bracket.