Computer Case Poll

Where do you keep your computer

• On top of the desk

• Under the desk

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
It depends on how much I value the computer.

Crappy old one: Floor level (but not on the floor)
New shiny one: Desk level.

Seems to make no difference as far as dust/dirt goes, main reason I have newer ones on the desk is because I play with them more. Latest one is gigantic (18.25") and won't even fit below (17.5").

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Neither, I sit on my case.

In actuality, it's not on my desk or under my desk... because it's not at the desk.

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
haha nice dude :p Computer chair computer ftw!

i just moved mine on top of desk because i like to look at it and im having paranoia of it getting more dust since i got carpet and a dog lol
the con is , i can hear the noise a bit more since its not muffled by my desk!!! lol

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Glass desk = /cry for anything bigger than a mATX. My current case is a mid tower, and I'm considering going for a full tower. I'd have a large portion of my peripheral view blocked by that thing if it were sitting on my desk, and that'd just be...weird. Not to mention, I'd have to swap locations of it to evenly distribute the deafening effect on each ear. :x

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Used to keep it on top of the desk but then realized it didn't make any sense. Under the desk, it's noticeably quieter, allows easier access to front panel ports, and allows me to manage the length of my headphone cable by routing it behind the table.

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
Under:D

DeskSetup2.jpg

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Vectronic said:
It depends on how much I value the computer.
Boy that makes me think about how much I value mine bud... Its ON THE FLOOR but believe me,I VALUE IT MORE THAN YOU KNOW!!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I have it parked next to the desk, so it's easy to get in and out. The laptop is on the desk... ;)

If I had a dedicated computer desk or something, I'd have the silly thing on the desk.

pyjujiop

Mar 17, 2001
I have one of those old 1980's desks with plenty of room, and the computer sits on top of the desk to my right. This thing is so big that I have a 21" CRT monitor and a laser printer on top of the desk and still have enough workspace.

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
I have 2 glass desks with a large supermirco between them on a wood base.
At the end of that desk is a honeywell air cleaner on the side wall is a small tv stand with a hafx on it.
Now under one desk is a logitech Z5500 with a htpc 2500k on top of the base box.
I often wondered how bad it is to have your pc on 12 speaker base box.

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
2500k@4700+Z68-Pro3+16GB snipper@1.30v+4890+M4-Boot+F3hd+intel nic wifes pc web
Assuming that's the only storage... not much wrong with having it there... HDDs, or large heatsink, might cause problems over time.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have an older computer on top of an old table and I have another computer sitting next to the TV. So my answer is both!

I do not have any pretty furniture in my basement.

I also do not have the computer on the floor, in case we get water in the basement.

Well when you have 2 large speakers and three flat panels and what looks like a printer, you kind of run out of room. At work I have an old large L Desk and I have my PC on the Desk and 2 good sized monitors and a scanner and a telephone and few odds and ends. When I start scanning I have stacks of paper and file boxes everywhere.

Last edited:

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
Nice desktop icons Railgun :p!!!!!!!!

glad to hear from all of you ^^ nice to hear about other setups

i recently flipped my desk to have the pc on top while sitting in corner of desk / next to wall.. i do have a glass desk but it is thick glass as well

still considering putting it back under because the sound is alot quieter, not that it's loud but under the desk sounds like theres nothing there, only thing that sucks is this room is carpeted and im so paranoid of extra dirt,dust,hair, and all those omg omg icky germs will penetrate the computer

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I didn't know that people still put their PCs on top of their desks. This isn't the 90's! I have a lot of desktop space, but I use it for a lot of other uses. Under the desk leaves more room and is a lot quieter. Maybe if you want your LAN buddies to see your spinning blue lights... :p

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
I didn't know that people still put their PCs on top of their desks. This isn't the 90's! I have a lot of desktop space, but I use it for a lot of other uses. Under the desk leaves more room and is a lot quieter. Maybe if you want your LAN buddies to see your spinning blue lights... :p

you made a funny, but it wasn't funny :D
j/k :p

yeah i feel my computer is too god damn sexy to shove it under a desk like a eMachines from 2002 :p, my main concern is fibers from the carpet so im trying out an on the desk setup :)
few days i might switch back ;o

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
yeah i feel my computer is too god damn sexy to shove it under a desk like a eMachines from 2002 :p, my main concern is fibers from the carpet so im trying out an on the desk setup :)
few days i might switch back ;o

I'm too sexy for my carpet too sexy for my carpet
Too sexy by far
And I'm too sexy for my carpet
Too sexy for my carpet what do you think about that

I'm a
i7 2600k you know what I mean
And I do my little turn on the catwalk
Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah
I shake my little touche on the catwalk

Just buy a pc stand and vacuum your carpet and the inside of your case on a regular basis. :awe:

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
Not all desks are dedicated to computers alone, not all desks are created equal.

I have one desk that has a half-shelf for the lower shelf, better for a printer than putting a case in side-ways.

My other desk was already modified to fit a larger than available sized desktop "below", that extra 0.75" means I'd have to drill more holes, or get rid of the sub-shelf thing

_______
|¯¯|¯¯|
'.....'¯¯'
keyboard/chair | small shelf/PC shelf

Macgruber

Dec 17, 2005
Too sexy by far

I'm a

Just buy a pc stand and vacuum your carpet and the inside of your case on a regular basis. :awe:

rofl @ the lyrics so hard :) :) :)

ima put the wheels on the PC and try it that way, wheels are 2x as elevated as the feet on it now, i need some mesh covers though since the whole bottom of the case has holes and my phobia is like OMG NOOOO DUST DIRT FIBER GEMS BEWARE

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Too sexy by far

I'm a

posrep

Railgun

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks. It's changed a little since the photo...

-Mountain Mods Ascension
-Asus R3E w/EK full board block
i-7-970 @ 4.2 w/Koolance CPU-370
-12GB Corsair CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 on air
-GTX570s in SLI @ 822 core/1951 mem on VID-NX580s
-GTX460 for PhysX on air
-Areca 1880i with 4x Vertex3 120s in a stripe and 4x Samsung 1TB F3s in RAID 10.
-e-mu 1616m...speakers are M-Audio BX8 D2s and now their SBX10
-Koolance PMP-450 with 3x Swiftech MCR320-QPs with Arctic Cooling F12 PWMs.

Monitors are a U2711 flanked by Samsung 204Bs.

The thing off to the right is my old PC...now server.

I'm biding my time before upgrading. We'll see what Haswell and the NV 700 series will bring before making my decision. I'll be replacing the pump with an MCP35X2 soon. The current loop is too much for the pump.