Computer cannot access certain internet websites...

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
I'm working on someones home network. They have 3 computers, one of which cannot access certain websites. nsbank.com is one of them. The other 2 computers on the network have no problems at all. I've disabled the software firewall to make sure it isnt causing the problem. I've tried using both IE7 and Firefox 3, neither can access it. I've ran virus and spyware scans but the most it finds are tracking cookies.

What could be causing the problem? Reloading the OS isn't really an option right now since the computer is used for a home business. Is it possible they had spyware before and it messed up the tcp/ip stack?

Since nsbank.com is an SSL site I thought it might be a problem with SSL but i can access other SSL sites with no issues.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Have you tried running a trace route?

Open up the command prompt and type...

tracert nsbank.com

jesterb84

Mar 14, 2008
You can try to reset the TCP/IP stack (manual method) by using this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357.

In addition, have you checked this computer's DNS settings? Right-click on the network connection in Control Panel, and go to Properties. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click Properties. Click the "Advanced" button and check the DNS tab.

Finally, check the hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts). Open it with notepad and examine any entries in there. From what you have said, this computer may likely have been infected with a spyware/virus in the past and changes to the hosts file can possibly redirect hostnames such as nsbank.com to an invalid IP address.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: BZeto
I'm working on someones home network. They have 3 computers, one of which cannot access certain websites. nsbank.com is one of them. The other 2 computers on the network have no problems at all. I've disabled the software firewall to make sure it isnt causing the problem. I've tried using both IE7 and Firefox 3, neither can access it. I've ran virus and spyware scans but the most it finds are tracking cookies.

What could be causing the problem? Reloading the OS isn't really an option right now since the computer is used for a home business. Is it possible they had spyware before and it messed up the tcp/ip stack?

Since nsbank.com is an SSL site I thought it might be a problem with SSL but i can access other SSL sites with no issues.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

what firewall app are they using? if they are using a third party app such as norton internet security, then that is probably where you want to start looking first. my f-i-law was having trouble accessing yahoo mail from one computer but the other computer in his bedroom was able to access the site just fine. it turned out that when he disabled norton internet security, it royally screwed him over.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Winsockfix will reset the hosts, etc. Try that for starters and disable their firewall software. I had issues with zone alarm not that long ago on a clients machine.