Question Computer built entirely off of deals.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
PLEASE when you POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Everything, but a whole lot of nothing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
800-1100

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.US

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
Lean towards AMD.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Lets just say I have these already but they count towards the cost. New parts only.
2700x 179.99
RVZ03-RGB 158.99
Arorus Pro ITX B450 Mobo 99.99

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No overclocking just BP2

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
1080P

9. WHEN do you plan to build it? Mid to late April probably.
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
No.

11. What the goal is ? So goal is to make a PC kind of my GF. In the end ill use it for the most part 3-4 days a week. Heavy Chrome usage during that period, but I fall within the more cores crowd so 2700x (and honestly for the price I couldn't pass it up). Her requirements for anything I buy that involves her be something that's a deal/bang for the buck/on sale. My requirements is a new interesting build type that I haven't done before.

Things needed.
Memory - Thinking 16GB (8x2) 3200
Drive - 512GB-1TB NVME
Cooler- Toss up between using the included or going with the Noctua L9-60- Other suggestions accepted.
PSU - Can take an ATX. But would rather use a SFX, thinking EVGA 650w SFX.
Video card - This is the make or break. Using a 1080p monitor. Since limited gaming, unlikely to get a new monitor any time soon. Thinking 5500XT 8GB to bring it down to ~$200. But have wiggle room between $150-300 depending on suggestions for other parts. But case requirements are key here.

For the most part I think I have a good idea of what works and what I am thinking about. But I'll feel bad if I put this together without one of her core tenets. So this isn't about drastically changing the configuration, but more of what either better options and more importantly what things in the list have awesome deals on new hardware.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Your 2700X stock cooler will be sufficient to start with, though I'd consider keeping an eye out for a steal eventually on an upgrade there.

Case wise, something with solid airflow cannot be understated. We've been in a regressive case quality epidemic ever since the glass side / glass face trend got started. Quality used cases from 4-6 years back before the silly trend got going are cheap if you live in a big city Craigslist area. I try to always value function over looks, buy that of course is up to you. Gamers Nexus is hands down the best place for info on current cases, Steve's reviews there have literally resulted in a number of revisions from the MFG taking his recommendations and improving them accordingly. "Mesh", "Meshify" generally point to cases with focus on at the very least more front surface ventilation paths.

Definitely try to get at least a 1660S or Vega 56/64 as minimum GPU. Used I've seen some great deals out there, check our own FS/FT.

Keep in mind that we are almost certainly about to see massive disruptions in new stock for Amazon/Micro Center/etc for computer components, and general electronics as a whole start to become evident in the next few weeks, and only getting worse for an extended period of time. Global shipping, especially from China, is being devastated by CV, and then of course the much wider level of restrictions, worker availability issues, supply chain and transport interruptions within China are extreme right now, and Shenzhen had a qualified worker shortage before any of this virus situation to begin with.

Take that as advice to perhaps jump on any deals that seem adequate sooner rather than later, because new stock going dark will also mean used prices spiking.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Keep in mind that we are almost certainly about to see massive disruptions in new stock for Amazon/Micro Center/etc for computer components, and general electronics as a whole start to become evident in the next few weeks, and only getting worse for an extended period of time. Global shipping, especially from China, is being devastated by CV, and then of course the much wider level of restrictions, worker availability issues, supply chain and transport interruptions within China are extreme right now, and Shenzhen had a qualified worker shortage before any of this virus situation to begin with.

Take that as advice to perhaps jump on any deals that seem adequate sooner rather than later, because new stock going dark will also mean used prices spiking.
I don't think it can be overstated about how likely it is that prices are going to spike soon. The advice from that Canuckle head Linus "buy now" is spot on imo.

BTW, I like your 5500XT pick since you favor AMD. Can handle 1080p gaming, and the power and heat and noise, will be far superior to Vega, for that SFF build.

Reactions: Arkaign

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Oh yes, if this is SFF, definitely 5500/1660 type.

Also with SFF, I usually ask : are you really really sure? Like laptop vs desktop, it can be done, but necessitates compromise that inevitably lead to either decreased capabilities for the same price, or increased cost to meet a particular performance target, and dramatically more limited selection of components that match with the SFF/uSFF path.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

I see V56 and even some V64 randomly pop up sub-$200, but they're not ultra common in the used sphere. I see more 1070/1070ti come by in the range, which would also be clearly superior to 5500XT, just not easily found for dirt cheap.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
@Arkaign Thanks for the input. Case is already chosen, sorry if the wasn't clear. Wanted a slim SFF desktop. So I got the RVZ-03B-RGB. Good news is Steve already reviewed it and gave it massive props. There is a fan hole and slim fan already installed (though temptation is to get 3 Noctua slims, 1 for CPU opening and 2 for GPU opening). Cooling should actually be pretty good which is why I am leaning against getting a cooler. Noise is really my concern there as this will be kept in the bedroom.

As for the possible increases in prices. That's why I am looking for input now or as long as the thread gives good info. Already picked up the case because it was the one non-negotiatable decision and the CPU and Mobo because it was a good deal on good parts with low stock. But in the end I am not that great of a deal finder. I generally decide what I am going to get and purchase it from one or two places I usually do. Hunting for deals is kinda alien to me.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hmm. Noise being a target leads me to probably recommend 1660 Super. It's just a better product, and the best option for a cool/quiet SFF card without going exotic.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

AMD cards are a mixed bag. I'm not super confident in Navi drivers yet, so after initially recommending some 5600/5700 cards depending on deals, I've become a bit hesitant, though hopefully RDNA2 (Navi revision with Raytracing) refreshes the lineup from top to bottom eventually.

The 5500XT I personally find to be a bad product right now. Much like the 1650 non super, just a badly priced entry IMHO.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

AMD cards are a mixed bag. I'm not super confident in Navi drivers yet, so after initially recommending some 5600/5700 cards depending on deals, I've become a bit hesitant, though hopefully RDNA2 (Navi revision with Raytracing) refreshes the lineup from top to bottom eventually.

The 5500XT I personally find to be a bad product right now. Much like the 1650 non super, just a badly priced entry IMHO.

I was thinking more idle noise.

I looked at the 1660, even though I lean AMD, that was my first thought. But a casual look on Newegg had them accelerating from $200 insanely quickly and really on the EVGA (with a cooler I haven't heard great things about) and a Zotac being the only ones that fit. I might be able to squeeze an extra half inch above the PCIe bracket, but not much. Probably can get away with a 2.5 slot cooler, but then I can't use the extra inlet fan mounts. Really don't need to get into 5600xt/1660 Super territory. Not unless there was a really good deal.

As for the driver issues. I am not adverse to the occasional driver issue. Bad hardware i'll pass. Drivers needing a bit more work, I have dealt with that from time to time with both companies.

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

I hear ya, some driver issues like minor things with screen resolutions defaulting to odd settings that have to be manually reset when changing monitors, or AA not working in a couple of games, the usual stuff is not a huge deal.

The blank screen glitching and assorted stuff that has remained serious for so long with Navi makes me less comfortable as a buyer/recommendation hub. Thankfully I haven't sent out many units with Navis. Only four in total so far, one I had to replace with a 2060, one is dealing with random issues, and two are mainly work desktops I've had no complaints over (but I'm deliberately running pre-2020 drivers on).

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
One additional note : the 2700X runs PCIe 3.0, while the 5500XT uses 4.0, and is limited to 8 lanes. For the combo, it will run at 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 speeds. It doesn't affect everything, but seems to be a case where the 4GB models should be avoided at all costs.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
One additional note : the 2700X runs PCIe 3.0, while the 5500XT uses 4.0, and is limited to 8 lanes. For the combo, it will run at 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 speeds. It doesn't affect everything, but seems to be a case where the 4GB models should be avoided at all costs.

Which is why I was looking at the 8GB model. Think of that is a baseline for min performance. Using a B450 as well. Again gaming isn't a no go, it will be playing some games at 1080p. But it's also not a priority. In a perfect world I might have waited out the 4k APU's but honestly not a great waiter and once I decided to go this route for the case it didn't make sense to drop the video card. If I can find a good 1660 or 1660 super that isn't a throttle monster like the EVGA, and can fit the case, and isn't drastically more then $230. Then I'd probably go that route or try to find somewhere else to skimp (or get such good deals it opens up the options a little more).