Computer build - text mining / data analysis

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
Looking for advice for my upcoming build. This will be mainly for data analysis including text mining and bayesian analysis in Python and R. Currently using a regular laptop it will sometimes say not enough memory and/or the program will crash alot.

CPU: i7-9700k -> anything similar on the AMD side?
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390UD -> Not sure if I want to overclock, if so it will be mild. Would I be better just using the default turbo rather than trying to mess around with the settings?
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz -> Think there will be any advantage going to 64gb? Or will 32gb be plenty?
HDD: Samsung 860 Evo 256gb ssd + 1TB HDD -> Just HDD's I have lying around
PSU: Corsair CX Series CX650 -> May put in a 1060ti or 1070ti in there, so 650W should be enough? If no discrete GPU would I be better off using something in the 500W range?
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05 -> Or whatever else is on sale

Thanks everyone in advance!

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
You could use a 2700X for AMD although the Intel chips are a bit faster.
For the memory it all depends on how the software is written as to whether it will take advantage of having 64GB over 32GB. 32GB is quite a lot of memory. Having said that if you wanted to use a ram drive for this software to run from that would likely speed up the program execution time.
The 650W for the system sounds like enough. It may be worth getting a better quality unit than the bronze rated one you listed for piece of mind.

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
Thank you for the reply, upon further research I found the following:

-R is normally single-threaded, but you can run Microsoft R instead which can parallelize the work across multiple threads. Unfortunately it seems that it only works with Intel.
-R also seems do run its data all through RAM, so if you were to work in bigger data sets you'd either need a ton of ram or use packages like bigmemory to manage the data. Currently I am trying to run data in R but it shows "error: cannot allocate vector of size 14.5gb", so that's why I thought I needed 32gb of ram atleast.

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
I didn't know that there are languages that don't support threading. I don't know anything about R though. If it supports having a GUI that will run in its own thread. It doesn't sound like a good piece of software if it dies trying to allocate memory.