Computer Build for Photoshop, Lightroom and Illustrator

ricardo.vix

Aug 24, 2012
Hello guys!

I'm creating this topic because I need your help to choose a new computer to my girlfriend.

She works with image editing (clothes prints and patterns) and the programs she use are Photoshop, Lightroom and Illustrator.

I don't understand anything about these programs, so I don't know what computer she should buy.

What I have in mind is:

Processor: i5 4440 or similar;
Motherboard: Something cheap, because it won't make any difference;
Memory: 8GB or 16GB 1600Mhz;
HD : 1TB ou 2TB (seagate or western digital);
SSD : 250GB (don't know which model yet, but I'm a fan of Samsung SSDs);
Graphic card: Necessary? I don't know if these programs use graphic card. If yes, which model?
Power Supply: Depends of the graphic card
Mouse: Which one? Cheap and with good precision
Monitor: Dell P2416D

I'll really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
It's not a good time to buy. New video cards are due within 2 months. The programs you mentioned will benefit from GPU acceleration. The difficulty is no one knows if the new video cards will be better for Photoshop or not. At the very least, the price of current video cards will drop.

As for RAM, I'd go for 16 GB. I'd probably drop down from the 4k monitor to a 2560x1440 and plow the money into a faster CPU and a GPU.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003

You don't need a Z170 board, for sure, but I wouldn't stoop to H110 either. The H170 is the sweet spot.

Monitor: Dell P2416D
I'd probably drop down from the 4k monitor to a 2560x1440

That Dell monitor is a 1440p monitor. However, I would recommend against that monitor and get one that is factory color calibrated (not that it won't need color calibration anyway, it will just be way better out of the box). My recommendation would be the Dell 24" U2415 Ultrasharp 16:10 monitor. It's only 1200p instead of 1440p, but I really don't think you need 1440p on a 24" monitor.

ricardo.vix

Aug 24, 2012
It's not a good time to buy. New video cards are due within 2 months. The programs you mentioned will benefit from GPU acceleration. The difficulty is no one knows if the new video cards will be better for Photoshop or not. At the very least, the price of current video cards will drop.

As for RAM, I'd go for 16 GB. I'd probably drop down from the 4k monitor to a 2560x1440 and plow the money into a faster CPU and a GPU.

First of all, thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I'm not from USA, so the new cards will take some time to arrive to my country (and they will be very expensive).

The monitor is 1440p and I decided to buy 16gb of memory instead 8gb.

My biggest doubt is if she will need a graphic card for what she'll do (create clothes prints and patterns on photoshop/lightroom/illustrator) or if the best option is buy an i7.

Thanks!

redzo

Nov 21, 2007
Processor: i5 4440 or similar;
Memory: 8GB or 16GB 1600Mhz;

Not much you could change if you go for the cheapest but,

There is no point in purchasing old tech. At least go for a DDR4 skylake i5. Is it really that much of a price difference where you're from? DDR4 vs DDR3 prices should be similar; CPU should be similar;
Maybe you'll have to pay a little more for a skylake DDR4 MB vs a haswell DDR3 one.
Just be careful with the skylake MB + ram combo as there are both DDR3 and DDR4 skylake motherboards on the market right now.

Good luck!

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
My biggest doubt is if she will need a graphic card for what she'll do (create clothes prints and patterns on photoshop/lightroom/illustrator) or if the best option is buy an i7.
GPU is only used by a few filters,and none that would produce something for real clothes,don't get a GPU,as redzo said get a skylake they have stronger graphics anyway and the GPU is the easiest thing to install later if and when she will need it.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
GPU is only used by a few filters,and none that would produce something for real clothes,don't get a GPU,as redzo said get a skylake they have stronger graphics anyway and the GPU is the easiest thing to install later if and when she will need it.

Agree. With what she's doing she doesn't need GPU power.