Computer Acting Wierd

falconfighter

Oct 10, 2004
I seem to be having a problem with my computer when it heats up (running for 1hr plus). I have a Gigabyte GA-7DXE w/ Athlon XP 1800+, and when it gets hot, the network will stop working. That is the first sign. I am running a PCI ethernet card. Then it seems to get really slow and unresponsive. After a while (about another 45 mins) it will lock up when you try to work with it. Even worse, after you "shut it down" from Windows, it will power off, wait about 10 seconds, and power up again. Anybody have any reason why it'd do this? Bad mobo? Bad CPU?

BSEagle1

Oct 28, 2002
Try moving the PCI ethernet card to a different PCI slot. It may be getting too much heat from your video card or something. Also run memtest86 (do a google search if you don't have it) if that doesn't solve the problem.

And...I've heard plenty about random shutdowns, but random powerups? That's just creepy :p But, that could be indicative of a bad motherboard or possibly some funky powersupply issue.

falconfighter

Oct 10, 2004
I'll try the ethernet move. IF that doesn't fix it, I ran memtest86 a while ago ( ~2 months), but i'll try it again. Then it's a PS switch I guess.
I kinda have a sneaking suspicion it might be the mobo. It's always acted a little wird.