Comprehensive NY Times/CBS poll

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Anyone who attacks this poll because it was coducted by the NYT - ignorant of the facts, unable to raise any actual flaws with the polling - is an idiot.
Really now?

Is that because the NYT/CBS has such a great track record?

Look at the CBS 2008 pre-election polls.
Oct 30 Obama had an 11 point lead
Nov 1 a 13 point lead
Nov 2 a 13 point lead
Nov 3 a 9 point lead (Obama won by 7 points)

And you wonder why people accuse them of producing poor poll results or skewing the results towards the Democrats and then 'fixing' them before the election.

BTW Fox News nailed the results

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This poll doesn't seem to agree with a lot of others, but the questions can always be asked a slight bit differently so it's hard to tell one way or the other. The fact that it's NYT certainly does not lead me to lend it much credibility.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Really now?

Is that because the NYT/CBS has such a great track record?

Look at the CBS 2008 pre-election polls.
Oct 30 Obama had an 11 point lead
Nov 1 a 13 point lead
Nov 2 a 13 point lead
Nov 3 a 9 point lead (Obama won by 7 points)

And you wonder why people accuse them of producing poor poll results or skewing the results towards the Democrats and then 'fixing' them before the election.

BTW Fox News nailed the results

So, your evidence that the NYT poll is not just wrong but biased, and should be discredited for all polls because it's so consistently biased, is one poll that said 9 percent, not 7 percent.

I'd say you fit the description a lot better of being consistently biased and wrong discrediting yourself more than NYT polls.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Anyone who attacks this poll because it was coducted by the NYT - ignorant of the facts, unable to raise any actual flaws with the polling - is an idiot.

What are people that attack Rasmussen polls, ignorant of the facts, unable to raise any actual flaws with the polling?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Sorry brah but the link explicitly states this is the result of a telephone poll. You know what that means - it accurately represents the feelings of people who have nothing better to do that talk on the phone for 10 minutes. Any time those people phone me, my dad, mom, brother, girlfriend, friends, or coworkers, they are politely told never to call again.

I think the biggest highlight in the poll is how an overwhelming majority of people do not like congress. 21% approve, 70% disapprove.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the biggest highlight in the poll is how an overwhelming majority of people do not like congress. 21% approve, 70% disapprove.

Agreed, that much is clear, people are sick of their critters in congress. Maybe this year could be the time when they act on that dislike and boot the bums out of office.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

So when you attack the next Fox poll, you will accept the same response?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
This does not jive well all the other polls from multiple sources. NY Times, LOL, enough said.

Unless you expect your polls to be be jazzy, I wouldn't want any poll to "jive," well or otherwise. It would be nice, however, if the results of this poll jibed with those of other polls.