component video = no color???

Tommunist

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2004
I recently moved and the other day I went to watch a DVD for the first time since hooking the DVD player up to the TV. I'm using the same DVD player, the same cable, and the same TV I was using at my old place. For whatever reason there is no color. It's all in black and white. I checked the connections multiple times and turned everything off and on and plugged and unplugged the cables a bunch of times.

What is causing this problem? I'm at a loss because this isn't some new set up. It's a set up I've been using literally for years now.

The TV is a JVC (CRT) and the DVD player is a Panasonic. I'm not sure of the model numbers off hand but if someone really needed them I could check that out.

In the meantime I just hooked up the regular (single) video cable and that seems to be working okay.

Thanks in adavance!

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Sounds like you are getting the luminance connection but not the two chromanance channels. Try replacing the cable. If that doesn't work then it sounds like the connection is broken internally in either the TV or the DVD player.

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
This is going to sound silly, but I'm only mentioning it because it happened to me. I had the exact same symptoms as you, and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Turns out that I had misconnected the DVD player to the TV. I had the yellow connection of the component DVD player going to the composite connection on the TV, or something like that.

I was going through all the settings on my DVD player before I realized what I'd done.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
It does sound like you plugged it in incorrectly.

Also there may be a switch or setting in your TV to switch between RGB and Y, Pb, Pr. The long power loss may have reset it.

N0rm4l_u5ern4m3

Jul 26, 2021
I know im like...16 years too late but i had the same problem with my ps2, apparently clicking source select ( as in the panel that let's you choose HDMI1,2,3 VGA,PC Etc.) Theres also a Ypbpr source and an AV source, which depending on which one you plugged the video cables into should be one of these, in my TV at least

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I know im like...16 years too late but i had the same problem with my ps2, apparently clicking source select ( as in the panel that let's you choose HDMI1,2,3 VGA,PC Etc.) Theres also a Ypbpr source and an AV source, which depending on which one you plugged the video cables into should be one of these, in my TV at least

allow-it.gif

• Haha
Reactions: solidsnake1298