Complete uniformity in math and statistics

MySoS

Dec 7, 2004
I have seen the same thing in math written in different ways, and with different names. There doesn't seem to be absolute 100% conformity in mathematics over what symbol to use for some things and what to call something. For example I have seen different symbols used for compliment and transpose. The same is true for the field of statistics. I think it would be beneficial if there was 100% uniformity in names in symbols in math. I am sure there is more than 90% uniformity, but it is not 100% and that is what is needed.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
It would only benefit the people who can't keep track of more than one symbol to mean the same thing... We don't want those people in the club ;) :p

But... you didn't notice this until now?
2x3=6
2·3=6
(2)(3)=6

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
yeah like when you use ' to mean compliment, derivative and transpose it gets confusing!

... only not really.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
it's not going to happen...ever.

It gets even worse when you start talking about constants in engineering. Every time someone finds a new constant..."HEY GUYS, LET'S CALL IT 'K'!!!!"

MySoS

Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: eakers
yeah like when you use ' to mean compliment, derivative and transpose it gets confusing!

... only not really.

I have also seen all of those represented by at least 3 other symbols.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MySoS
Originally posted by: eakers

... only not really.

I have also seen all of those represented by at least 3 other symbols.

its true.

its all just notation, it doesn't matter what you call it as long as you are consistant throughout your work. you could use happy faces and it would still mean the same thing.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: DrPizza
It would only benefit the people who can't keep track of more than one symbol to mean the same thing... We don't want those people in the club ;) :p

But... you didn't notice this until now?
2x3=6
2·3=6
(2)(3)=6

that doesnt quite work in vector math ;p But, im not gonna start anything with ya cause you have much more math than I will ever have anyways.

In physical chemistry, the greek letter nu is used for stoichiometric coefficients, preexponential for the arrhenius equation, and something else - and they all appear in during the same derivations - that sucks and is confusing.

MySoS

Dec 7, 2004
It isn't confusing for me, but I know it is for many people. I was helping someone with statistics and they couldn't get the idea that SSTR, SSB, SSA are all the same thing and it took forever for them to understand. The other day I was helping someone and was trying to explain that power function f and the function f are two different things even though they use the same symbol, and even after 30 minutes they couldn't fully understand.