Complete list of Sandy Bridge processors leaked

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
Saw this on a german site and thought I'd share it. Seems the complete list of Sandy Bridge processors was released, including the mobile versions.

sandybridge.png

desktop2a.png

mobilea.png

mobile2.png

http://www.computerbase.de/news/har...010/august/komplettes_sandy_bridge-portfolio/

In addition to the model details they also mention that all 19 processors will have an IGP, so no luck for those who were hoping for one without.

For the desktop segment it seems there will be a lot of chipsets available for OEM, but only two for those of us who like to build our own computer, the P67 and H67. The only difference between the two being that the H67 has only one PCIe port with 16 lanes, while the P67 offers the choice between 1x16 and 2x8 so you can do SLI/Xfire.

Edit: Added updated info with graphics clock included. Thanks to IntelUser2000 for providing the link on page 2.

Last edited:

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Core i7 2600 (with or without K) looks awesome :awe:

I have not kept up to date with the IGP and OC concerns. Does it still hinder the OC potential to have the IGP in? And I assume the K in some of the models still indicate "unlocked multiplier" for easier OC?

Haven't kept up to date with SB news, but this looks like as good a thread as any to start.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
I have not kept up to date with the IGP and OC concerns. Does it still hinder the OC potential to have the IGP in? And I assume the K in some of the models still indicate "unlocked multiplier" for easier OC?

It's not so much the IGP itself that limits overclocking, more the fact that everything shares the same baseclock, so if you alter it you change not only the CPU speed, but also the IGP, memory, USB, SATA, PCI-E etc.

And yeah K stands for unlocked multiplier.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
35W is the lowest for mobile? I really expected a sub-20W SKU for this architecture.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
35W is the lowest for mobile? I really expected a sub-20W SKU for this architecture.

If you look at the 2nd slide you can see that the i7 and i5 LV/ULV parts are due in Q2 2011, and thus not included in this list of initial models. I'd imagine some of those will get down around 20W.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
It's not so much the IGP itself that limits overclocking, more the fact that everything shares the same baseclock, so if you alter it you change not only the CPU speed, but also the IGP and all the ports.

And yeah K stands for unlocked multiplier.
So having the "K" processors mean overclocking is, in fact, still possible, you just can't mess with the baseclocks much? I can see they seem to only offer it on the top two SKUs. I suppose overclockers still won't like it because they can't overclock a cheaper part to rival a high-end part.

One thing though: is this really THE complete list? I might be missing something, and like I said I haven't kept up to date so much before on the next gen Intel line-up, but some things tell me these aren't the entire Sandy Bridge line:
1.) 95W TDP max. I find it highly unlikely. If these procs top out at 95W, there's got to be some models left for the 130W family.
2.) All have IGP integrated, as mentioned. I'm sure the top models would not only have >95W TDP, but also SKUs without integrated graphics, since these parts won't be mainstream anyway and those who will buy them most likely will be planning on purchasing a Fermi II or a 6xxx.

Or am I totally off base and there is a different, non-SB product line without the IGP and >95W TDP?

[By the way, 95W TDP for a 4C/8T clocked at 3.4GHz? And has integrated graphics? Well done, Intel, didn't realize it until right now :thumbsup: ]

Soleron

May 10, 2009
No 6- and 8-core variants for desktop on the sub-$300 platform? They're coming to servers Q3.

But if they sell the 3.1-3.4GHz quad at $200 then maybe it won't matter.

--

@jvroig

1) This is the mainstream platform, replacing LGA1156. Lynnfield didn't go above 95W either. The Bloomfields aren't listed on the '2010' portion of the chart so their replacements aren't listed yet.

2) Again, if you don't want iGFX you buy from the LGA1366 replacement platform (6 and 8 cores)

Last edited:

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
1) This is the mainstream platform, replacing LGA1156. Lynnfield didn't go above 95W either. The Bloomfields aren't listed on the '2010' portion of the chart so their replacements aren't listed yet.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks, makes sense now. I was confused because the thread said "complete list"... and I thought (without looking at the Intel slides) this was the entire lineup of next gen CPUs from Intel.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
For those that said that these would not be overclockable, well, at least they do have some "K" models planned. It depends on the price, though, whether or not I would be interested.

On a platform level, I'm waiting for Intel to implement encrypted ICHR RAID features, integrated with their AES-NI instructions, where you have to enter a RAID password at boot, otherwise your HD shows up as random nonsense.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
I wonder how many people will actually buy the low voltage S and T models.

With Lynnfield they always seemed entirely pointless to me. Not only are they slower and more expensive, but the TDP only goes from 95W to 82W.

At least with these ones the power savings are much more substantial, but the price increase might be as well.

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Complete list for LGA1155 Sandy Bridge is what's meant indeed.

I used to be very enthousiastic about these cpu's, planning to upgrade as soon as they came out. But as it turns out, the chipset doesn't really offer anything compelling (no full sata III, no usb3, still 16 pci-e 2.0 lanes) and if the no-overclocking news is true, I don't really see the point anymore.
My i5 750 already runs faster than the i5 2500 i was interested in (3.33-3.98GHz). TDP is the same as well, so not much to gain there either (altough tdp seems high to me considering 32nm, maybe Intel just slapped on these values for convenience). AVX sounds nice but im not sure how much software will use it. I'll wait a bit for an 875k pricedrop i guess.

btw, I wonder if they'll move the hsf holes again.

Last edited:

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
^ I agree, I'm not so sure this will be a big leap over the 32nm Westmere parts. The TDP values also seem a bit high. Also, surprised there are no 25w laptop parts available at the start. Looks like the Mac computers currently using the C2D procs will be staying that way until at least Q2 2011.

I used to be excited for SB, but now I'm thinking that 22nm might be better to wait for in my situation. I can probably overclock my existing CPU a bit more.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
The mobile variants are called i5/i7 2520M -> 2920QM seriously? What crappy names...

How about calling the next generation i5 22520M?

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
^ I agree, I'm not so sure this will be a big leap over the 32nm Westmere parts. The TDP values also seem a bit high. Also, surprised there are no 25w laptop parts available at the start. Looks like the Mac computers currently using the C2D procs will be staying that way until at least Q2 2011.

Those C2D processors use at least as much power as these i5s, they just include fewer things in the TDP measure.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
The mobile variants are called i5/i7 2520M -> 2920QM seriously? What crappy names...

How about calling the next generation i5 22520M?

I doubt it, but you can probably look forward to seeing the Ivy Bridge 22nm parts named i5/i7 3520M -> 3920QM.

Naming things isn't exactly what Intel does best.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
Aren't those pretty good energy wise if you consider it has an IGP and memory controller built in as well?
Sandy bridge is looking very good.

I am curious, how much power you save by downclocking these processors? ^^

Last edited:

Soleron

May 10, 2009
I think they've over-estimated the TDPs for yield and testing reasons. Penryn -> Clarkdale was the same.

The competition is Llano, which stands at least a chance of competing. And Bulldozer against the 6/8-cores.

We still don't know what kind of IPC increase there is.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
There was a previous leak which indicated "20 percent gain for Sandy Bridge when comparing "top of the line SV Arrandale to top of the line dual core Sandy Bridge".

What's top of the line Arrandale now?

Core i7 620M
Base clock-2.66GHz
2 core Turbo-3.06GHz
1 core Turbo-3.33GHz

Core i7 2620M(Sandy Bridge)
Base clock-2.7GHz
Max Turbo-3.4GHz

20 percent gain in average per clock.

Interesting how the L3 caches aren't 6MB anymore.

Last edited:

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
20 percent gain in average per clock.

I doubt that. There will probably be some applications where you see a 20 percent gain per clock, but I don't think the average will be that high. Would be nice though.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
It said that 20 percent gain was not on a single app but geometric mean, which is slightly worse than adding all numbers and dividing them.

By the way, the Sandy Bridge mobile chip that was demoed running Cinebench is Core i7 2720QM.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
That i5 is clocked higher than the Core 2 because of the Turbo Mode. The i5-540M's Turbo modes are:

Base-2.53GHz
2 core-2.80Ghz
1 core-3.06GHz