Compilation: Should this person be allowed to own a gun?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
I just discovered that I live in an open carry state. I've been wandering around for four and a half months and have yet to see anyone armed.
Maybe no one mentioned it was legal.
In open carry states, one rarely sees anyone carrying on a normal day at least in urban areas. Law abiding CCP holders are, well, law abiding and do not have a need to show they are carrying.

Not sure what num-nuts finds so humorous. :)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another couple who shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. They think it's cool to pull out a gun because they have a confrontation with black people. They were appropriately charged.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Another couple who shouldn't be allowed to own a gun. They think it's cool to pull out a gun because they have a confrontation with black people. They were appropriately charged.
What she did was stupid but there is nothing in this video that points towards racism of any kind.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Yeah the escalation wasn’t by the white couple. If the gun didn’t come out but they did end up hitting the black lady as she jumped behind a moving car, that was her fault.

Reactions: HardWarrior

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think we've found a victim that will garner enough sympathy to do something about guns in this country.
09f1cdaef1eb6019780ebe7646978b4d

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I really would add an IQ test to that. There are a lot of people that are simply to stupid to own a gun.
Why not a common sense test? I've met quite a few smart people that had no common sense, like picking up a gun and looking down the barrel.

Reactions: hal2kilo

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Why not a common sense test? I've met quite a few smart people that had no common sense, like picking up a gun and looking down the barrel.
Pretty sure common sense was lost long ago. If society had common sense, we wouldn't have warning labels telling people not to drink battery acid, or eat tide pods. Many of our laws wouldn't exist if society had common sense..

Reactions: Pohemi

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I think we've found a victim that will garner enough sympathy to do something about guns in this country.
09f1cdaef1eb6019780ebe7646978b4d
Nope, there is no victim or combination of victims currently able to get the ammo sexual crowd to give a shit.

I think parents need to be willing to go the Emmitt Till route and have open casket funerals of mutilated kids that are then graphically shown by the media before we'll even begin to move the needle.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Why is this person allowed to own a gun?

He should not have had the gun, and one of the charges he is facing is possession of a firearm by a felon.
The problem is that buying a gun is so easy he probably picked it up from a vending machine at his local bar.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
But...but...muh rights!
Republicans: There's nothing that can be done
Surprise, surprise, surprise! /GomerPyle

...violent and likely racist. I have strong doubts that he'd have had the same response if it had been a lily white teenager that came to his front door. I could be wrong...but I doubt it.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Nope, there is no victim or combination of victims currently able to get the ammo sexual crowd to give a shit.

I think parents need to be willing to go the Emmitt Till route and have open casket funerals of mutilated kids that are then graphically shown by the media before we'll even begin to move the needle.

WP kinda went there several weeks ago, showing (thankfully with generic figures) the kind of devastating damage even one high velocity fragmenting round does to someone like a 50 pound second grader. Basically disintegrates every organ if hit in the torso or blows whole limbs off. No shock schools in these areas want to get kids DNA for identification purposes. Many if not most are completely unidentifiable.

They contrasted it with 9mm rounds I believe, and it wasn't even in the same ballpark.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
WP kinda went there several weeks ago, showing (thankfully with generic figures) the kind of devastating damage even one high velocity fragmenting round does to someone like a 50 pound second grader. Basically disintegrates every organ if hit in the torso or blows whole limbs off. No shock schools in these areas want to get kids DNA for identification purposes. Many if not most are completely unidentifiable.

They contrasted it with 9mm rounds I believe, and it wasn't even in the same ballpark.
Those scenes will need to be broadcast for people to get the hint.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I saw that. And while a good explanation, it likely only works on the sane/rational reader. Too many graphs/charts and data.

It's not gonna work on the majority of the MEAL Team Six members that spend every weekend at a gun show or an NRA convention.

We need to start showing the raw, unedited (you can blur faces) aftermath of these shootings. Full body cam footage from responders. Pools of blood. Family consent to show footage of the deceased. Show what the ER looks like after trying to save one of the victims. Like someone else mentioned, open caskets. Even after all that I'm still not sure it will change anything, but we have to do something drastic.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

People need to see the real thing. Honestly maybe put those pics on every box of ammo.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That said, I'm also in favor of no one with a double digit IQ owning firearms. It's just a bad mix.

Sorry to be the one to bring this up BUT the average IQ in the US is approx 97. (and the vast majority of those are likely Republican voters who watch Fox "news")

;)

Last edited: