Compatibility between 802.11g and 802.11b and gaming packet loss

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
My Router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband router. One one computer, I have a Linksys Wireless-B USB Adapter(which is 802.11b). It works fine. On this computer that I'm using right now, it's a D-Link AirplusG DWL-G122(802.11g). The internet works fine and everything, but when I try to play a game, such as the Battlefield 2 demo, I always get.. having connection problems errors in the game and packet loss. The signal strength is always 2-3 bars.. never goes any lower than 2. I've turned off Wireless Zero Config because there are three wireless connections around here, and my setup is only one of them. Why do I keep getting packetloss? Is it because I have a 802.11g adapter and a 802.11b wireless broadband router? Thanks a lot in advance..

P.S: I never get dropped at all from the connection, so thats not a problem.

dcpsoguy

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Also, just for some information. My wireless router is downstairs.. and then upstairs (this is a normal house).. the Linksys USB adapter is in one room(the one that works fine).. and the D-Link is in another room.

SocrPlyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
there might be something in between them causing the interference... also, while not absolutely necessary it is nicer to stay w/ one company w/ some of the cheap home wireless stuff (my opinion). one thing you might want to try is seeing if you can set the dlink to a B-only mode. B and G are completely different in how they use the channels, so depending your G device might keep trying for a G connection or not switching over entirely properly.

Josh

demon42

Jul 19, 2004
As far as I know, you can't set the client card's radio mode (such as to b-only), this setting is usually on the AP only.

First thing to try: make sure drivers are up to date on both sides of the connection.

From there, you might try using zero-config and disabling the d-link software on your computer... see if that makes a difference for better or worse.
Also, I agree with Josh, something might be causing interference: 2.4gHz cordless phones, microwaves, etc.

Perhaps you should try moving the router or computer closer to each other. It could just be a noisy environment that is causing your packet loss. Different adapters with different chipsets compensate differently to such environments.

If you have a laptop, one thing that you can do (and I think it's kind of fun) is to walk around with a constant ping on the screen and watch the response times... it wouldnt fix any problems, but it might get you a better signal.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Changing the channel to 1, 6 or 11 usually resolves most wireless performance problems. Mainly because there is interferrence.

dropping packets on a web browser you'll probably never notice. but gaming you would.