Comparison of CPUs from the last decade?

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
A while back there was a post linking to a comparison of single threaded CPU performance from Pentium 4 to SB. Wondered if anyone had that link.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
"At this point, we’re afraid to say that AMD’s cores, individually, only beat Intel's old Pentium 4 or maybe even a Core 2 circa 2006/2007. But they don’t stand a chance against anything from Nehalem until now. Again, this refers to performance per clock per core and not to the multi-core products that we can buy. AMD has to get back into the game by not only infusing its processors with plenty of cores, but also by dramatically improving performance per clock."

Maybe AMD will pay $300 million dollars to software developers to ensure that every program uses at least 8 threads starting January 1, 2012.

For a long, long time, SuperPi was an excellent way to gauge IPC. In fact, in this benchmark, I can quickly compare all my Intel processors from the last 5 years and the progression of IPC from C2D to Core i7 to SB is shown very nicely.

Last edited:

BlueBlazer

Nov 25, 2008
Maybe AMD will pay $300 million dollars to software developers to ensure that every program uses at least 8 threads starting January 1, 2012.
Not every program/software can be parallelized or multi-threaded properly, and especially games fall into this category. :hmm:

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
What I picked up on is how the thubans are quite embarassed by the 2500k in non-threaded apps.