Compaq Presario 56K-VSC modem has never connected past 33K?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TGirl, Jan 9, 2001.

1. TGirl

TGirl Member

I've played with all the configurations on this Win95 machine and this modem will not go past 33K. I have 2 more computers upstairs using the same phone line that have winmodems and they get around 51-52K all the time. I don't get it. I don't think it could be the phone line because the others use it and run like they are supposed to. Anyone have any ideas? And yes, I have the speed set at the max in the configureations. Thanks.

TGirl

2. bacillus

bacillus Lifer

3. Redwingsguy

Redwingsguy Diamond Member

is there a sticker on it that says "made in mexico" ? most compaq modems do, if so, please refer to sig :)

4. TGirl

TGirl Member

Made in Canada. My husband says he never checked for updates so I'll try this now. Thanks guys.

5. Jank

Jank Member

Probably not related to the modem. In some places people will not connect above 28.8 - sometimes not even that.
    It all depends on your phone lines. Find out if others can connect at higher speeds - neighbors, friends.
    I could never connect above 28.8, that's why I have cable modem.

6. Redwingsguy

Redwingsguy Diamond Member

phew you lucked out to the friendly canadians, if the driver update doesnt work, it may be a noisy phone line or just an old phone line, or your ISP, if its a noisy phone line you can just get a filter from your phone company!

7. Jank

Jank Member

Sorry, did not read the whole message. Are you using the same phone line - upstairs and down ?
    Try unplugging all the phones and try again. There is a phone line speed test available on the web - I think US Robotics had it on their site if I remember correctly.

8. A2KLAU

A2KLAU Golden Member

Thanks! I needed to use than link and I am downloading stuff using it now! Thanks again!

SKY.

9. TGirl

TGirl Member

Thanks for the link and advice. I see compaq has a driver update for "a" modem that "may" have be used in my model. It says it is for a 56Kflex but I don't know if what I have is a flex - doesn't refer to it as flex in my system properties. I e-mailed Compaq support to see if this update may refer to my particular machine. I hope it is, that could solve my problem. Thanks everyone!

TGirl