Compaq NeoServer

agg123456789

Jan 28, 2001
hey all. I just got a Compaq Neoserver as a gift. I belive it has a Celeron 233 in it (slot, FSB 66 i bleive because of the 233 rating). I have no idea how much ram...but probably somewhere in the neigbhorhood of 32 mb. (what is the smallest capasity PC66 DIMM?) It is running a propritary UNIX OS, and i dont like how it functions. I want to ghost the HDD incase something catastrphic happens, and then I want to try to install Win2k Pro, and leave the thing as a file server....

what are the minimum specs for that sort of application? (ram and proc wise...dont want to upgrade it much...and i want it quiet because it will be in my room....) it will be sitting in my closet and doing nothing but serving up mp3s and the occaisional movie....

Ram is cheap now so that is not a problem, however heat is because i dont want to add more fans.

I would actually much prefur to run linux on it(much cheaper), but i have never been able to successfully run a linux box on my network which has dynamically assigned IPs up the wazzoo.....

Basically i have no clue what to do here. Never worked with an Intel based system before...or with a server...

let me know what you all think.....

thanks

agg123456789