Company says it owns hyperlinks patent

BlueApple

Banned
Jul 5, 2001
WTF?!?

WHITE PLAINS, New York (AP) -- A British company claimed in federal court Monday that it owns the patent on hyperlinks -- the single-click conveniences that take a Web surfer from one Internet page to another -- and should get paid for their daily use by millions of people.

Text

Logix

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2001
rolleye.gif

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I bet this goes about as far as the group that was trying to get royalties for every .gif (or was it jpg?) that was used on the 'net.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

<< I bet this goes about as far as the group that was trying to get royalties for every .gif (or was it jpg?) that was used on the 'net. >>

Or as far as that one group (netscape?) trying to sue that one other group (microsoft?) for shipping their (microsoft) own product when their (microsoft) own product was purchased instead of the one group's (netscape?) thing.

Nik

Sir Fredrick

Oct 14, 1999
Assuming that you believe evolution, what if someone tried to patent walking upright back when everyone was slouched over and dragging their knuckes?

Patents on very basic technology should be deemed irrelevant. Also, they've waited too long to try to enforce the patent.

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
Lets see...

One, two, three, four.....

Dont wana be the guy that has to count all those. Yikes!

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey, I just was thinking and since noone mentioned that...

I invented the drop-down menus on the web pages!. See that little arrow next to Navigation >> Off Topic \/ ? I need to get paid for every time someone uses that. Just gotta find a attorney so I can sue everyone too :)

Oct 16, 1999
Even if they win here, I think the patent can be forfeited since they waited so long and allowed it to become so widespread before trying to defend it.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

<< BT tried to persuade the judge to interpret the language broadly for the jury -- to include a computer mouse, for example, as the "keypad" mentioned in the patent.

"It has keys," BT lawyer Robert Perry said hopefully.
>>

they should be counter-sued for being idiots.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001

<< they should be counter-sued for being idiots. >>

Man, I could sue almost everyone who comes into Home Depot then :) What a bunch of hosers :D