Company of Heroes DVD edition, $12.90

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
If you are an RTS fan and haven't played this game you are doing yourself a great disservice.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I agree, but if you want to go online and also want to avoid downloading a 1.7GB patch i recommend the Opposing Fronts expansion as well.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
I'd also recommend this if you're a WWII buff or enjoyed the HBO series Band of Brothers. The name of the game itself is a nod to Major Winters' quote at the end of the series, how he answered to his grandson when asked if he was a hero in the war: "No, but I served in a company of heroes."

They also have the NA version of The Witcher for $29.99, which is a great deal also. Pretty sure you can replace certain files to essentially make this the Uncensored version if you look around a bit.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Soviet
I agree, but if you want to go online and also want to avoid downloading a 1.7GB patch i recommend the Opposing Fronts expansion as well.

great expansion

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
I played CoH on an Athlon64 3000+ and a GeForce 6600GT with a broken fan. You'd have to have a pretty crappy rig to not be able to play it in some fashion.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I swear theres people out there playing it on a pentium II with next to no ram and a 4200RPM hard drive from ths 90's... i dont think theres any limit on the loading time for online games, i was sat for 10 minutes yesterday waiting for 1 guy to load in a 4v4.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Soviet
I swear theres people out there playing it on a pentium II with next to no ram and a 4200RPM hard drive from ths 90's... i dont think theres any limit on the loading time for online games, i was sat for 10 minutes yesterday waiting for 1 guy to load in a 4v4.

Yes people don't seem to realize that if they are playing a 2v2 against the computer and getting 15 fps that going online and trying to play a 4v4 will pretty much ruin the game for everyone.

Don't play online RTS's on a laptop please.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
Even though I bought the game for 20 bucks last week, this deal is pretty sweet. I don't know what took me so long to finally get this game, but it's an absolutely fantastic RTS. Every aspect of the game is well done, from great single player missions to balanced and high paced multiplayer, as others have said, if you like RTS's in any sense this game is well worth it at only 12 dollars.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Price now $14.90 plus shipping.

I'm half tempted to pick up this DVD version. I bought the CD version before Christmas and am having a difficult time installing the game on 1 of my PCs. It installs fine on my "non-gaming" PC, so the CDs are not the issue.

I've also tried installing the game via my LAN using the PC the game can be installed on and still no go. I've combed the internet for weeks now and tried everything (using google and also on the Relic website) and still no go.

I keep getting an error message while reading disk 1 which pretty much says "Company of Heroes has encountered an an installation error. Please insert disk 2". I install disk 2 and after a few miniutes I get another error message saying a file cannot be found or is in use and then I'm forced to cancel the installation.

I've read somewhere that it may be an issue with SafeDisc and to try and update SafeDisc, but I can't figure out how to update it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Budarow

I'm half tempted to pick up this DVD version. I bought the CD version before Christmas and am having a difficult time installing the game on 1 of my PCs. It installs fine on my "non-gaming" PC, so the CDs are not the issue.

I've also tried installing the game via my LAN using the PC the game can be installed on and still no go. I've combed the internet for weeks now and tried everything (using google and also on the Relic website) and still no go.

I keep getting an error message while reading disk 1 which pretty much says "Company of Heroes has encountered an an installation error. Please insert disk 2". I install disk 2 and after a few miniutes I get another error message saying a file cannot be found or is in use and then I'm forced to cancel the installation.

I've read somewhere that it may be an issue with SafeDisc and to try and update SafeDisc, but I can't figure out how to update it.

This probably won't help, but that happened to me just once. I just tried again and it worked fine. I later formatted and installed again with no error, so maybe it was a fluke not sure.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: m0mentary
Originally posted by: Budarow

This probably won't help, but that happened to me just once. I just tried again and it worked fine. I later formatted and installed again with no error, so maybe it was a fluke not sure.

Thanks for replying, but I've tried to install a LOT of times. The PC I couldn't install the game on was AMD (Socket 462) based and I completed a new PC build (Intel, Socket 775) and it did the same thing. I was able to install the game on an AMD64 (Opteron) on the 1st try.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
I just started playing this game, good times! Having used the tried and true "advance - consolidate, gather/build - advance, rinse-repeat" strategy in most RTSes I have to admit the basic economy mechanics threw me for a loop initially but make for a much faster paced game overall.

I'm still figuring out "friendly" AI - for whatever stupid reason one member of any infantry squad always likes to jump in FRONT of whatever cover I've assigned the squad which usually leads to immediately and unnecessary casualties. I also find mortar teams require a LOT of babysitting - a few times last night I had 2 squads stuck in a perpetual set-up/break-down loop for no discernible reason when I needed them to be bombarding incoming enemy troops...