Company of Heroes 2 Free on Steam

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
It's a shame RTS is basically a dead genre. How times have changed...

It died to me when they forced multiplayer down my throat and disabled the modding ability. I remember the original when you basically had several games out your fingertips from just the modding community.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It died to me when they forced multiplayer down my throat and disabled the modding ability. I remember the original when you basically had several games out your fingertips from just the modding community.
There's plenty of RTS games on the market that don't force multiplayer on you or disable mods. I just wish someone would remake Empire Earth and do it properly.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
The first Company of Heroes is excellent and I thought the second one was pretty decent though maybe not quite as good. It was slightly different but not different enough to be a completely different game (which is good). I just never played it that much, and I'd never go online anyway, cause I'd get raped. Even so I had fun with the skirmishes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I never liked the games that much. They seem like ripoffs of Dawn of War 1 and 2 but not as good as either.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
But they aren't and they are a whole different game, so it's almost impossible to say whether or not they are better or worse. Both franchises are really fun and with CoH, you can get really creative with your artillery.

It's hard for me to play CoH anymore because it always got me in the mood for Faces of War which I used to play with my buddy who I no longer speak to. Just given how open and buggy FoW is, it made for some extremely fun times.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The first Company of Heroes is excellent and I thought the second one was pretty decent though maybe not quite as good. It was slightly different but not different enough to be a completely different game (which is good). I just never played it that much, and I'd never go online anyway, cause I'd get raped. Even so I had fun with the skirmishes.

ENTIRELY this for me as well. LOVED the 1st release. 2nd was fine, but different (felt a bit dumbed down and console-y or something). I never play on line as that would just be a slaughter.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm going to eventually give CoH 1 another go. Really enjoyed skirmishes vs AI. But I got about halfway (?) through the campaign and got my ass handed to me. It was a mission where you had to defend a hill and the German attack comes from multiple directions very quickly. I had little difficultly with any of the missions prior to that. It just seems like the difficulty went from 1 to 11 in one step. I hate when games do that.

But it could just be me. Maybe I'm missing something really obvious.

Regardless, I plan on giving it another go. After shamefully watching YouTube videos on how to win that battle :-(

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I'm going to eventually give CoH 1 another go. Really enjoyed skirmishes vs AI. But I got about halfway (?) through the campaign and got my ass handed to me. It was a mission where you had to defend a hill and the German attack comes from multiple directions very quickly. I had little difficultly with any of the missions prior to that. It just seems like the difficulty went from 1 to 11 in one step. I hate when games do that.

But it could just be me. Maybe I'm missing something really obvious.

Regardless, I plan on giving it another go. After shamefully watching YouTube videos on how to win that battle :-(
LOL, well if you're stuck, I wouldn't feel bad. Sometimes just doing a thing or two slightly different can have a pretty big outcome in how you do in the game, I think that's the reason for you feeling like the difficulty jumped dramatically. I think the game, in general, isn't very forgiving and can punish you for not doing the right thing at the right time (at least during the campaigns).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Theres oodles of text and video walkthrus for both games. I dont think losing should be a huge problem.
And of course, if you get really frustrated you can probably dig up cheat codes or trainers.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Love CoH as much as StarCraft. When I want real WWII weapons, I go for it and when I want sci fi stuff, SC is for me.