Compact Flash: Looking for the best product at the best price

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
I'm currently looking to get myself either a 512mb or a 1gb compact flash card (*yeah, I'm just too darned lazy to swap flash cards or empty them. hehe*) for general use. I've got several devices that all use the same type of compact flash card, so a standard compact flash card will do.

I'm looking for what is the best possible compact flash card I can get for a good low price. I don't want to pay a lot, but at the same time I want at least some semblence of quality so that the dumb thing doesn't buy the farm 2 months after I buy it. I've been over to pricewatch already, but that really hasn't been a whole lot of help since they're listing several brands. So, pipe in with what you believe is the best choice for me to get. I'm most definately interested. Thanks.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i should get a 512 for mardi gras... take videos with the s40... though... i wonder if i should take it?

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: LordRaiden
Ok, I'm going to employ my stupid card here. What's a micro drive?

Microdrive is an actual hard drive in a form of a typeII CF card. It has an actual spinning platter inside, which will drain your batteries faster then a convential CF card. On the upside, 512mb and 1gig microdrives will cost you MUCH LESS then comparable size CF cards.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
OH! One of those! Yeah, I heard about those a while back but didn't know that they were actually for sale already. Wow. That does sound like a good idea. Much better than the compact flash card. One question. Obviously this drive is no thicker than a standard flash card. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that these also come with some kind of adapter or some sort that allows them to double as a flash card?

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i should get a 512 for mardi gras... take videos with the s40... though... i wonder if i should take it?

im gonna be at mardi gras too...:D

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MaxDSP
Originally posted by: ElFenix

we should have an AT mardi gras meet at acme or along the parade route or something

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MaxDSP
Originally posted by: ElFenix i should get a 512 for mardi gras... take videos with the s40... though... i wonder if i should take it?

Can ya send me some good pictures...if you know what I mean ;)

Ausm

Gujski

Aug 3, 2001
Are microdrives only compatible in cameras that take type II cf cards?
My Canon s230 i believe just accepts CF type I. I guess I cannot use a micro drive with it.

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
yep, you definitly need cf type II to use these (they're slightly larger then type1)

BTW: I too am going to be at Mardi Gras :D maybe a meet should be in order...

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Mine can theoretically support 2gig of flash. I state theoretically cause there's nobody that has a 2 gig card yet to test this against.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
I have two 512mb Ridata cards. They outperform pretty much anything out there, even Lexar, and can be had for under $200 each. I'd get more if I were shopping for CF, and I probably will soon. Ridata and Ritech are made by the same company, soif you find a good deal on either one it's the same card.

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: MrPhelps
Can your camera even use 512??? or bigger?? some can't expand over 128. :)

Wait, with cf the bios is written on the card itself, right? so shouldn't the only imitation be the cards that physically slide into it? At least, I thought this was the whole reason behind cf being infinitely expandable whereas smart media had the bios built into the device

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'll throw out another vote for the 1 GB IBM Microdrive. I have one for my PDA, and it works great. The PC Card adapter that it came with makes it really easy to load files from my laptop, too!