Comp freezes after logging in/Fails to boot

solarwills

Feb 23, 2015
So I was using my music recording comp as usual, which showed no sign of decline prior to the incident.

At first, it bugged randomly shortly after I logged in. Mouse and keyboard suddenly stopped to response, clock stopped too, so I know it's not just the keyboard and mouse ports that had a problem. I then had no choice to reboot.

The next few reboots showed the same behavior. At a point, I rebooted it again and the led on the comp that usually lights up would light for a few seconds and then die out as the comp failed to boot at all.

I then got sick of trying to reboot it and left it like that. A while after, I looked back at the computer and noticed that it resumed to boot at some point and that it succeeded? I continued to use the comp to try to record stuff and now it seems like the computer works, but it intermitently stops to communicate with my soundcard (profire 2626) and the monitoring cuts off, comes back etc..

I presume some piece of hardware is dodgy here and needs to be replaced.. I don't know what it could be. Never experienced anything of the sort.

Any advice is very appreciated. Thanks.

Comp specs :

Motherboard : Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 @ 3.06 Ghz
OS : WinXP x86 (some of my audio software/hardware won't work if I update it. Also it always worked fine for the purpose hahaha :p)
Hard drives : WDC WD2500AAKS-00L9A0 (main one)
WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 (for audio file storage)
3 GB ram

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Maybe PSU issue too.

That rig's getting old, time to think about replacing it. Although, the software, if it's only compatible with XP, might be the bigger issue.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
Just had to swap out another WD Blue laptop drive this weekend. A spinner that doesn't spin sucks..

Last edited: