comp beeps when turned on

Ryan1217

Jan 28, 2011
i have a post in graphics section, but i have bigger issues now, i was told to reseat my ram and g card so i did, like i have done many many times before, i have an HP well i broke the little clip for the g card, but just the very end that locks the card in place, i go to turn it on and my comp is running at max rev, and long beeps...

Ryan1217

Jan 28, 2011
1 short beep and 1 long beepMemory problem, this is what i found I am assuming that this is meaning bad ram? what are the chances that all 4 sticks of ram went bad if im reading this right?
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Ryan1217

Jan 28, 2011
also in my other research I am reading and its saying to remove and reseat several things, and if the beeping were to stop that is likely the case, i thought i was bad to remove and reseat stuff with the comp on, is it safe to do this while the comp is powered on?

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
is it safe to do this while the comp is powered on?

No, don't ever remove or install anything on the board when turned on. Are you sure the "clip" is on the graphics card and not a memory stick?

Yes the beeps could be memory related.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If you know what bios your board has, (award, AMI, etc.) you can google for "beep codes for XYZ" and get a more accurate idea of what they mean.

TL60 is right...NEVER unplug any component while there is power to the PC. The ONLY exception would be something plugged into a USB port...NOT something like RAM.

ALWAYS turn the computer off and remove the power plug before you remove any component.