Common Core Indoctrination?

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/0...sneaking-politics-into-elementary-classrooms/

"Teaching materials aligned with the controversial national educational standards ask fifth-graders to edit such sentences as “(The president) makes sure the laws of the country are fair,” “The wants of an individual are less important than the well-being of the nation” and “the commands of government officials must be obeyed by all.” The sentences, which appear in worksheets published by New Jersey-based Pearson Education, are presented not only for their substance, but also to teach children how to streamline bulky writing.

Now if Bush was still president, Fox wouldn't have a problem with the test, but their points are still valid.

"The job of making sure laws are fair is not the president's, but the judicial branch's. The executive branch's duty is to administer laws. And the example that places the well-being of the nation above the "wants of an individual" appears to run counter to the basic principles of the Bill of Rights."

Some of the sentences sure do appear to be incorrect and bordering on indoctrination. I would never tell my children: 'the commands of government officials must be obeyed by all'. They should be taught to follow the laws of the land and to follow the moral code I/we have set for them. If a government official says to anally probe a man three times and that violates his hippocratic oath as a doctor, he/she should refuse (http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/11/06/second-anal-probe-lawsuit-filed-against-nm-police).

Many may seem this as not a big deal, just a lesson on Abraham Lincoln and the civil war, which I respect and enjoy such lessons, but at least the statements should be factional and not so blind.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
It's not an obummer thing, this kind of indoctrination has been happening for a long time. It's even more disgusting now because of the zealous followers of the dear leader that are frequently found in the public school system (like the children forced to chant obummer praises and so forth).

Not surprising at all though, that's the mentality of many in the public school system -- government above all, obey your masters, individualism is to be discouraged ...

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It's not an obummer thing, this kind of indoctrination has been happening for a long time. It's even more disgusting now because of the zealous followers of the dear leader that are frequently found in the public school system (like the children forced to chant obummer praises and so forth).

Not surprising at all though, that's the mentality of many in the public school system -- government above all, obey your masters, individualism is to be discouraged ...

/this

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I've often wondered the following:

Is there any way to measure the quality of education before the establishment of the DOE?

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
LMAO at foxnews... words can't even describe how stupid this outrage is.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I love how conservatives get into a circle jerk about common core.

Who came up with the Common Core Standards? The states. Who approved of the Common Core Standards? The States. Who adopted the Common Core Standards? 45 States.

Conservatives can continue to have a circle jerk around the issue. Common Core came about through a bipartisan effort at the state level through the National Governors Association.

Its funny there is outrage over perceived politicizing of curriculum with the Common Core, but yet when Texas blatantly inserts politics into its curriculum year in and year out, well conservatives defend it tooth and nail.

Common Core is garbage and needs a huge overhaul. However, it is not necessarily worse than what it replaced. Basically the underlying idea of Common Core was a good one, the implementation was not.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Who came up with the Common Core Standards? The states. Who approved of the Common Core Standards? The States. Who adopted the Common Core Standards? 45 States.

Who the heck cares who came up with it? That has no bearing on the issue the OP brought up. Many of the things taught as part of common core are plain factually wrong or just indoctrination drivel.

Common Core came about through a bipartisan effort at the state level through the National Governors Association.

How it came to be and who came up with is completely irrelevant, it has no bearing on whether elements of it are bad or not.

Apr 27, 2012
There is too much indoctrination going on at the schools. These pathetic liberals can't debate so they indoctrinate the children. And this has been going on since before obama.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I can't find the link now but I seem to remember similar stories about common core worksheets rewriting the bill of rights, e.g. quoting the 2nd amendment as saying "the right of the states to have a militia" and so forth.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There is too much indoctrination going on at the schools. These pathetic liberals can't debate so they indoctrinate the children. And this has been going on since before obama.

You must have Stockholm Syndrome. One think I'm sure you have correct, however, is that nobody could ever debate with you. All anybody could do is stimulate the programming and play you like a chess piece.

Apr 27, 2012
You must have Stockholm Syndrome. One think I'm sure you have correct, however, is that nobody could ever debate with you. All anybody could do is stimulate the programming and play you like a chess piece.

You're an idiot. I just skipped right over your BS!:D

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I can't find the link now but I seem to remember similar stories about common core worksheets rewriting the bill of rights, e.g. quoting the 2nd amendment as saying "the right of the states to have a militia" and so forth.
Common Core seems to be dedicated to changing "No child left behind" to "No child left out of remedial classes every year." As a nation we're falling behind. The Common Core answer is not to speed up education, but to slow it down and evidently hope at some point a miracle happens.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Common Core seems to be dedicated to changing "No child left behind" to "No child left out of remedial classes every year." As a nation we're falling behind. The Common Core answer is not to speed up education, but to slow it down and evidently hope at some point a miracle happens.

what?

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Look at the actual common core standards, check out mathematics it looks many times better than what most are taught right now.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Look at the actual common core standards, check out mathematics it looks many times better than what most are taught right now.

the idea behind Common Core is great. trouble is the implementation. The books my daughter has for math is insane. her class (granted only 9 kids i think) went from being 1-2 grades higher in math on state test to this year being at grade level.

They are having a hard time with the new style of math they are being taught. Even the teacher is confused with it (she is older teacher).

one thing i do like about it is that they have extra credit online and the math book is online.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012

I'm not much of a conspiracy person, but this really does look like a conspiracy. Let's go through a list of things the education system has been doing for the last couple decades:
-Completely give up on math because businesses love people who suck at math. People who don't understand math are easier to sucker into things like rent-to-own, maintaining a credit card balance, overdraft fees, insurance, and mutual funds. You will never find a person who is bad at math but has an excellent stock portfolio. This makes people more reliant on the government.
-Completely give up on reading and writing because the internet is the only remaining source of real news, and most of it is text. Try to find one time CNBC or Fox News have raised concerns about the US dollar being dropped as the world reserve currency. Being poorly informed is the only reason we're not rioting in the streets.
-Turn kids against the constitution so they are easier to enslave. example

Everything is going as planned - the country is turning to shit at an alarming rate. The attack on journalism shows that the first amendment no longer exists. Chicago, Detroit, and Washington DC are proof that the second amendment no longer exists. That thread about the police anally raping a man for several hours proves that the fourth amendment no longer exists. I'm pretty sure the fifth amendment never existed since you can be charged with contempt if you refuse to answer questions in court. "Indefinite Detention" is proof that the sixth amendment no longer exists. The list goes on.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
They are having a hard time with the new style of math they are being taught. Even the teacher is confused with it (she is older teacher).

one thing i do like about it is that they have extra credit online and the math book is online.

Can you post an example of new math?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm not much of a conspiracy person, but this really does look like a conspiracy. Let's go through a list of things the education system has been doing for the last couple decades:
-Completely give up on math because businesses love people who suck at math. People who don't understand math are easier to sucker into things like rent-to-own, maintaining a credit card balance, overdraft fees, insurance, and mutual funds. You will never find a person who is bad at math but has an excellent stock portfolio. This makes people more reliant on the government.
-Completely give up on reading and writing because the internet is the only remaining source of real news, and most of it is text. Try to find one time CNBC or Fox News have raised concerns about the US dollar being dropped as the world reserve currency. Being poorly informed is the only reason we're not rioting in the streets.

Everything is going as planned - the country is turning to shit at an alarming rate. The attack on journalism shows that the first amendment no longer exists. Chicago, Detroit, and Washington DC are proof that the second amendment no longer exists. That thread about the police anally raping a man for several hours proves that the fourth amendment no longer exists. I'm pretty sure the fifth amendment never existed since you can be charged with contempt if you refuse to answer questions in court. "Indefinite Detention" is proof that the sixth amendment no longer exists. The list goes on.
There's definitely an agenda in education - mostly left wing, but in places right wing as well. Not sure there's a conspiracy as such though. I think one big thing is that we have an industry whose job is to reform education, and without reform they have nothing to sell and no reason to be paid consulting, authoring and speaking fees. These people cannot touch some of our root problems because of politics and they are not necessarily smart enough to make our educational system better. Different, however, is always possible. And different that is worse actually helps them by guaranteeing a market for the next round of reform.

"A lot of people like that reform. Maybe we should get us some, Pappy." http://www.hark.com/clips/qdckgtxpjc-how-we-gonna-run-reform-when-were-the-damn-incumbent

Oct 16, 1999
The wants of an individual are less important than the well-being of the nation.
movies-star-trek-wrath-of-khan.jpg

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This seems to have no bearing on reality. Not only is US math achievement higher than average, achievement has been on a steady upward trajectory over the last 20 years. US math achievement is unevenly distributed, which is a problem, but the idea that the US has 'completely given up on math' is basically the opposite of what is true.

http://timss.bc.edu/timss2011/downloads/T11_IR_Mathematics_FullBook.pdf

Similarly divorced from reality. US reading achievement is above average and improving.

http://timssandpirls.bc.edu/pirls2011/downloads/P11_IR_Chapter1.pdf

This is just ranting and raving. In light of the new evidence about the state of US education do you want to revise anything you wrote?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
This seems to have no bearing on reality. Not only is US math achievement higher than average
Which average? Global average? I agree that at least 3 billion people on earth are horrible at math because they live in mud huts, but compared to developed nations, we suck ass.
USA ranks 21 out of 23.
article said:
American adults also scored below the average in both numeracy and literacy for all respondents in all 23 advanced economies.
Yeah! Amurika is number #1!!!! (at not understanding math)

The fun continues. Kids are asked about math
article said:
Students were asked "If A is a positive whole number, which is greater: A/5 or A/8?" Fifty percent would answer correctly if they just guessed. Percentage who answered correctly: 53%.
But who needs fractions anyway? It's not like we use a British measurement system which consists of fractions that are powers of 2...

It gets even more hilarious when you try to apply math or accounting to government debt. Americans asked about debt ceiling
article said:
More than twice as many Americans believe lifting the limit means authorizing more borrowing "for future expenditures" than believe it means "paying off the debts [the federal government] has already accumulated"—62 percent to 28 percent, respectively.

Similarly divorced from reality. US reading achievement is above average and improving.
See above article. Also American illiterate
article said:
Unfortunate as it is, she was not the only high school graduate struggling to read this graduation season. According to government figures from a variety of sources, including the National Assessment of Educational Progress, about 35% of our nation's high school graduates are functionally illiterate
Despite unprecedented levels of spending on education, literacy rates have been sliding since the 1930s and there is no end in sight.

Of course some areas are shittier than others. 47% of people in Detroit can't read. That would be a good city to start a Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Which average? Global average? I agree that at least 3 billion people on earth are horrible at math because they live in mud huts, but compared to developed nations, we suck ass.
USA ranks 21 out of 23.

Yeah! Amurika is number #1!!!! (at not understanding math)

The fun continues. Kids are asked about math

But who needs fractions anyway? It's not like we use a British measurement system which consists of fractions that are powers of 2...

It gets even more hilarious when you try to apply math or accounting to government debt. Americans asked about debt ceiling

See above article. Also American illiterate

Of course some areas are shittier than others. 47% of people in Detroit can't read. That would be a good city to start a Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too

You've made a basic mistake here (although I guess that's not helping my point, haha)

You're trying to compare adult levels of literacy and mathematical prowess with what is happening in our schools and that's often not a good idea because adult measures include a lot of people who haven't been near a school in decades. This is especially true if you're trying to complain that our schools suck NOW, as no one in our schools would be measured by this assessment. In contrast, my assessment measures people as they are currently educated.

What's also interesting is that your second article explicitly references the value of the TIMSS study that I provided to you earlier, which paints a dramatically different picture from that article.

I've given you two comprehensive studies on American educational achievement as compared to an explicit bucket of other countries that includes most of the developed world. Dismiss it if you want.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
the idea behind Common Core is great. trouble is the implementation. The books my daughter has for math is insane. her class (granted only 9 kids i think) went from being 1-2 grades higher in math on state test to this year being at grade level.

I can see this being a problem, what grade is your daughter in? I see there being a big problem with the teachers especially ones who don't understand why they are doing things this new way. Along with students who all of a sudden who used to do things one way now needing to learn another. Having done and still doing a lot of advanced math what they are learning is in many ways similar to how I solve problems. Seems that they are doing this to give people a much stronger foundation and understanding. It should give people a much better grasp of things as they advance.