Common Core assignment - was the Holocaust a hoax?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
There were 2 accurate sources, and 1 fake source for the kids to draw from, and the activity was designed to teach students to think critically about where they get their information. IMO, learning the difference between trusted and non-trusted sources is exactly what kids need to learn, lest they click on one of those " a home-maker find one simple way to make a million dollars, learn how" ads.

I'm totally good with that, but depending on the age of the students, there will need to be significant guidance from the teacher.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
A VERY useful question for HS kids to research, to really exercise their critical thinking skills, would be "Is there a difference between a zygote and a person?" I think that - free from appeals to emotion, false comparisons, circular reasoning, and ideology - students could really learn something in doing this research for themselves.

Right after the chapter on ID.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I'll answer that if you answer why you couldn't just dribble down a leg and onto the mattress like you were supposed to?

I do not believe in accidents. Everything happens for a reason.

Does anyone else think the OP is confused and believes he is posting on Stormfront?

I do not even visit that site, much less have a membership there.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I would this rather not turn into a "Holocaust was faked" argument.

What I would like to see is if we have a right to question history as we know it. The victors write the history books. To every conflict there are two sides of the story. So what is the other side of the story that is never told?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ent-in-attempt-to-meet-common-core-standards/

My opinion, how does asking students to think in an abstract manner have no value?

Shouldn't we be able to ask "why" Japan attacked Pearl Harbor?

Shouldn't we be able to ask "why" Hitler invaded France, Poland and Russia?

When it comes to history, why should we blindly accept what we are told as absolute fact?

A teacher's class plan to have students find the difference between "spew" and truth is legitimate. Something some posters on this forum have little experience in.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Yep, I loves me some muffins.

Yea, how dare we want to stop a slave owner from killing his property.

This is why nobody respects you, and why you'll never earn an ounce of credibility here. You're a joke.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You're a joke.

You want to know what is a joke?

That is how morally bankrupt our society has become.

Nobody is willing to stand up and say if something is wrong in our society. When someone does stand up, the decrepit and morally corrupt shout them down.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008

Nobody is willing to stand up and say if something is wrong in our society. When someone does stand up, the decrepit and morally corrupt shout them down.

What does that have to do with the OP...?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004

We have a lot of people standing up and saying that denying the holocaust is wrong in our society. *That* is what is wrong here, and people are voicing their opinions. What is the rage?

But what you did in your opening post was completely trash the point of the topic and instead go on a tangent asking why we are not allowed to do other things in this country... things that we actually do... because I know we discussed those very topics in my history classes.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005

cloud.jpg

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Fortunately for the world, this genocide happened when there was enough technology to ensure it could not be questioned legitimately.

I'm going to Munich in a few weeks and seeing Dachau is at the top of my list, as well as a trip into Poland.

s_w16_05140105.jpg

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
But what you did in your opening post was completely trash the point of the topic and instead go on a tangent asking why we are not allowed to do other things in this country... things that we actually do... because I know we discussed those very topics in my history classes.

According to the adl the topic of holocaust is not up for debate.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
According to the adl the topic of holocaust is not up for debate.

...What is there to debate? There are people alive still who LIVED through it.

You can call them up or go visit them and get a first hand account of the events. This is not a topic like, "How were the great Pyramids built?" which is still openly researched and up for debate.

Moe Zart

Apr 5, 2014
Fortunately for the world, this genocide happened when there was enough technology to ensure it could not be questioned legitimately.

I'm going to Munich in a few weeks and seeing Dachau is at the top of my list, as well as a trip into Poland.

s_w16_05140105.jpg

Nobody is denying it happened, my grandfather died in a concentration camp, it brings me great sadness whenever I remember it (he fell from the watchtower).
But you have to ask why it's considered so unique among all the billions of people who were genocided in recorded human history? Like why do they have museums in the US for the holocaust that happened in Germany while not having any museums for the native Americans or African slaves they killed themselves? Imagine Germany not having any holocaust museums but instead having museums for native Americans, you would consider that hypocrisy.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
...What is there to debate? There are people alive still who LIVED through it.

You can call them up or go visit them and get a first hand account of the events. This is not a topic like, "How were the great Pyramids built?" which is still openly researched and up for debate.

There is no debate from me. The holocaust happened, million of people died, the end. That is all there is to it.

However, truth in history should not fear investigation or debate.

In my opinion, the adl should encourage honest and open debate.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
There were 2 accurate sources, and 1 fake source for the kids to draw from, and the activity was designed to teach students to think critically about where they get their information. IMO, learning the difference between trusted and non-trusted sources is exactly what kids need to learn, lest they click on one of those " a home-maker find one simple way to make a million dollars, learn how" ads.
:thumbsup: This is a logical argument in favor of the assignment.

Indeed it is, but, FFS, the framers of the question could have picked a FAR LESS OFFENSIVE hypothetical to use.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
There is no debate from me. The holocaust happened, million of people died, the end. That is all there is to it.

Okay that's fine, but there's really nothing for debate wrt the Holocaust. So it's a poor example.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Haha the source that the kids are supposed to know is horse-shat is incredibly apropos for the OP:

“With all this money at stake for Israel, it is easy to comprehend why this Holocaust hoax is so secretly guarded,” states the source, which is a attributed to a webpage on biblebelievers.org.au.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006

s_w16_05140105.jpg

I'm not sure why you are posting pics of dead people.

How many of those starved? Died from Disease? Died from old age? Killed by "Jew hating" Germans? Killed by other people in the camp? Collateral damage from the war?

Can you name the cause of death for every body in that picture?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Well, yeh, except that the ADL is a Zionist organization, so they want to frame the Holocaust as reason for the creation of Israel. Nevermind the 30 million Russians who died, or the Roma, the Slavs, the dissidents, the disabled, the dwarves & everybody else. For them, it has to be about Jews, exclusively, so that they can be seen as special. They try to narrow the definition to the extermination camps, when there was a whole lot more to it.

The Nazis just had Jews at the front of the line.