Commit to your backlog thread - 2019-2020

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
2021 starts here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/2021-backlog-thread.2589123/

Partially inspired by @DigDog 's thread here about playing through your backlog instead of buying new games, as well as @BFG10K 's thread here about games you played in 2018.

I thought it might be fun for those of us with large backlogs to make a specific plan to play our games for the year. We could report back and see how we're all progressing throughout the year. This thread is not about preventing you from playing new games (I'll probably get Sekiro and The Outer Worlds sometime this year, for example), it's just about setting a goal for your backlog.

Personally, I'm going to pick 12 games (~1 per month), but this is just for fun, so feel free to pick any number you want.

Anyway, here's my initial list (I may change games out if I find out I'm not really enjoying one), in no particular order:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Horizon: Zero Dawn
God of War
Life is Strange
LIMBO
A Hat in Time
FEZ
Half-Life (I know, I know. I started this a few times over the years but never finished it.)
Snake Pass
Metal Gear Solid V
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Last edited:

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
All of these games I have started but never finished for whatever reasons.

Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 (really just playing them to see what the fuss is all about. I watched the show on Netflix also but still not too interested in them)
Batman Arkham City, Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight. (I enjoy all these games, but never could finish any of them)
Dark Souls 3 (was playing co-op with another person for awhile, but never finished it)
Divinity Original Sin 2 (people say this is an all time great rpg, but I only managed to get past the tutorial then got overwhelmed and lost interest)
Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front. I want to like this game, but I have to force myself to sit down and learn the controls and just haven't been able to do it.
Grand Theft Auto IV and V. About 1/2 way done with both of them. I loved GTA San Andreas, and the two newer ones are not as fun to me as that one.
Mass Effect Andromeda. (I'm almost done I think. But I hate this game now. It started out pretty good, then got old fast after the first planet. I hate the story and the stupid remnant, and I just want to side with the Kett now. I hate the Initiative. I hate all my companions and the dumb stuff they get me into. I hate turning in a few missions thinking I am making progress, only to get bombard with 10 more missions, or get completely side tracked because one of companions has an urgent request on the other side of the galaxy at a planet I have been to 4 times already). I even hate exploring the systems.

I'll try and finish these, but I'll probably just go back to playing the Dragon Age games again.

Feb 4, 2009
I’m going to keep my goal modest.
i received boarderlands and something else for an amd Ryzen purchase. My goal is to load them and play them provided I enjoy them.
problem with my 2019 list is I started some games but lost interest in those games rapidly

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
My 2020 list (including some leftovers from 2019), without further ado:

Fallout 3 (Completed)
Dark Souls (Won't Do)
Crysis Warhead (Completed)
Lost Planet (Completed)
The Stanley Parable (Completed)

Max Payne
Pillars of Eternity
Rage (Completed)
Tomb Raider 2013
Dead Space
Kingdoms of Amalur
Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Bioshock 2: Remastered (Completed)
Torchlight 2 (Completed)
Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising (Completed)
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (Completed)
Doom 2016 (Completed)
Prince of Persia 2008 (Completed)
The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings EE (Completed)
Spec Ops: The Line (Completed)
Prototype (Completed)

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
My 2020 List:

Dark Souls III
Grim Dawn
The Adventures of Van Helsing
Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny
Borderlands - The Pre-Sequel

Tyranny was such a blast. It's a bit drab but it's muticlass system, story, characters, setting are so much fun you can't help but be drawn back after every play session.

No mystery or spoilers here, but the game really commits to making "bad guy" the default playstyle (being a "good guy" is possible but extremely difficult) which can be uncomfortable for some but feels so fresh.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Tyranny was such a blast. It's a bit drab but it's muticlass system, story, characters, setting are so much fun you can't help but be drawn back after every play session.

No mystery or spoilers here, but the game really commits to making "bad guy" the default playstyle (being a "good guy" is possible but extremely difficult) which can be uncomfortable for some but feels so fresh.

I'm really looking forward to it. I don't really know a lot about it, but I've heard others say it's a unique play on your more traditional RPG game.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I still need to finish Dark Souls 3, base game; I don't even have the DLCs. I know I like it when I play it but when I get my fill I stop and then never touch it again for months. I don't dislike it, not sure why it's doing this. Probably because I have too many games I could play and are currently installed at once. I could also finish the Dying Light expansion, since I did complete the base game and actually did make my way to the first map of the expansion (in the countryside). I got the car (well, the 'buggy') and that was about it, I stopped from there and never went back playing it since.

I also bought Iron Maiden / Fury just recently in December, started it and really like it already; I don't think it's a lengthy game so it should be easy enough and not too time consuming to finish it. Then there's Shadow Warrior 2, another game I started a few months ago (around September), it's fun; but need to continue my current game in progress (I'm just about 40 mins in the game). Finally, Rise of the Tomb Raider, still need to finish that one and only just started it (and no I didn't buy the third game yet). I actually liked the first Tomb Raider of this new reboot series (2013) but I often read and heard about how Rise was significantly better; I'll see in due time.

Hmmm... other than that, Indie-style games I could play more of (I did mention Iron Maiden above) like Dusk and Project Warlock, and also Trine (the first one). I could also probably find some time to start up Red Faction Armageddon for the first time ever. Indeed, I bought Armageddon years ago by now and still haven't touched it yet. It's not the only such game I have on Steam, but it's one I've been thinking of lately out of the ones I bought but never installed. The last one I can think of I could finish is Bulletstorm, which I did start a couple of months ago (it's not terrible, but it's barely keeping my interest to keep going mostly due to the horrendous dialogue and cringe voice acting).

I'm sure I could find a bunch more if I looked into it. I didn't even check my GOG and Origin games list in all that.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

I really hope they make Tyranny 2 to pick up where the first ended. I have unfinished business :D

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've been partially committing... so far finishing SW Fallen Order, Control, and most of the Division 2. Nearly done Borderlands 3 (did almost every single mission) and after that I'm going to finally finish Mad Max. That might have to wait until after Doom Eternal though.

May need to fire up HL2 again before the launch of Alyx next month. Buddy of mine has an Index so I'll likely play it but I'm not buying anything VR right now.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I’ve been on a Tim Schafer memberberries binge, so:
Full Throttle - replay
Grim Fandango - replay
Brutal Legend - finish

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Deadlight
Limbo
Half Life 2: Episode Two
The Witness

I need a new RTS

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
how do you guys find time to play all this stuff?

me, since i reinstallled windows, i've been playing FTL again, and it's basically kept me busy for a month. That and the occasional Quake Champions game or two.

Also i tried the amaaaaaazing Disco Elysium but i've had multiple crashes and game breaking bugs before i even got out of the first area, that plus the fact that - well, it's a point and click adventure and we're not in the 90s anymore - and i have decided to leave it alone.

Also i downloaded Fortnite because i couldn't remember if that or PUBS was the one without building and, turn out it's PUBG, so i deleted it after about 5 minutes of gameplay.

.. i can't find a shooter that even comes close to Blacklight ..

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Progress!

I beat God of War and even got the platinum trophy. Such a fun game, though not worth the platinum unless you like collectibles (I often do). Only my second platinum trophy after Bloodborne.

And just this morning I finished up Crash Bandicoot 1. Boy, did not like that game at all. Thankfully it was short. Took me under 5 hours. Still, the worst game I've ever beaten I'd say.

2 down, 10 to go!

Feb 4, 2009
No link, I forgot where I read it.
Steam has some deep learning thing now that will suggest lightly played or unplayed games in your library based upon what you have been playing.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'll jump in the challenge. I bought 3 games from humble bundle - Book of Demons, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and Frostpunk. Not going for 100% in all games, but I'll beat all 3.

Currently about 70% through 1st run of Book of Demons

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I'm six hours into Tyranny. I've only fought three battles. The rest of the time has been spent talking to people either pissing them off or making them happy. I've really struggled to keep it all straight. it's a pretty confusing game, at least for me. I don't want to give up too soon, but I don't think I can stand another six hours of all talk, no action.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Been running through some games that I've been wanting to finish and these are the ones I've finally got to the end of this year:

Doom 2016
Wolfenstein: TNO
Resident Evil: Remake

I should get Rage off my list, but it's a very boring game. Thinking about Wolfenstein: The Old Blood or finishing the side missions I haven't completed in Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Deus Ex: MD.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Been running through some games that I've been wanting to finish and these are the ones I've finally got to the end of this year:

Doom 2016
Wolfenstein: TNO
Resident Evil: Remake

I should get Rage off my list, but it's a very boring game. Thinking about Wolfenstein: The Old Blood or finishing the side missions I haven't completed in Shadow of the Tomb Raider or Deus Ex: MD.

-I found Rage quite fun if you go in with expectations managed.

I've also found it helps to never do the same Genre of game back to back to keep the gaming experience fresh and from comparing unequal games to each other too much (do FPS, TPS,Iso-RPG, RTS, FPS, etc instead of FPS, FPS, FPS, etc).

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'm six hours into Tyranny. I've only fought three battles. The rest of the time has been spent talking to people either pissing them off or making them happy. I've really struggled to keep it all straight. it's a pretty confusing game, at least for me. I don't want to give up too soon, but I don't think I can stand another six hours of all talk, no action.

tyranny isn't as fast as icewind dale but it should be faster than baldurs gate or pillars of eternity

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

This is why I can't get into these type of games like I used to. Just...too much clicking through text. I get it and all, and I'd prefer to see more of these games than not, but I just don't play them anymore. So, not sure what I'm arguing here: "Please make more of the games that I used to love instead of this vapid crap that you guys keep pumping out, and I will promise never to purchase or play it, please!"

Anyway, I've decided to commit to nothing and just play through Witcher 3 for the ....3rd time. Probably get back to BL3 and whatever new DLC is out now when I'm done with this. ...haven't picked that up in 2 months, I think.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
tyranny isn't as fast as icewind dale but it should be faster than baldurs gate or pillars of eternity

I hope Tyranny picks up some speed. It's definitely not faster than Baldurs Gate. At least so far. My favorite part of BG is escaping Candlekeep in the middle of the night and then you're basically level 0 with shit gear and can't walk five feet without running into a bear or gibberlings. And one hit from a bear and you were dead. Man, I loved that. Beating one of those frickin' bears was an accomplishment.

I spent the first two hours of Tyranny creating a character and then answering a seemingly endless array of backstory questions.....do you want to be at this village and burn this bridge or were you at this village destroying this library? It got really confusing in a hurry. And then the action starts and I'm supposed to be some sort of bad ass, but I'm really not. It's all very strange. I'm hoping it all comes together soon. It's a pretty popular RPG, so maybe it's just me and I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time......

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
This is why I can't get into these type of games like I used to. Just...too much clicking through text. I get it and all, and I'd prefer to see more of these games than not, but I just don't play them anymore. So, not sure what I'm arguing here: "Please make more of the games that I used to love instead of this vapid crap that you guys keep pumping out, and I will promise never to purchase or play it, please!"

Anyway, I've decided to commit to nothing and just play through Witcher 3 for the ....3rd time. Probably get back to BL3 and whatever new DLC is out now when I'm done with this. ...haven't picked that up in 2 months, I think.

There is a LOT of text, but Obsidian does a pretty good job of highlighting names which allows you to click on them for a definition and background. But it's so detailed....I click on the name Varen Ashe....ok so he's a bad ass leader and he did this and that.....then I'm back to the conversation but at that point I forgot what the conversation was about in the first place! Maybe this is me getting old.