Comments on Houston's new NFL team -- Houston Texans

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
It was officially announced today that the team is going to be called the Houston Texans . What do you guys think about the name? Let me hear your opinions.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
To quote Chipbgt:

It sucks donkey balls.

Why are Texan's so proud to be? Do they realize that while they sit, comfy in their Alligator Boots watching Rodeos and Lethal Injections, the rest of the world is laughing at them?

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
ha ha ha...hey now......I wasn't referring to texans and you know it ;) But I still like having my sig quoted :D

Texans are a different breed. Did they get to choose this somewhow or did some corporate conglomerate choose it?

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
Well the Texan way of pronouncing Houston (Hue-ston) seems to have permeated through the rest of the US. The original way to pronounce it however is "How-ston".

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is that so? I'm a dixie child and I've always pronounced it HYU-STON but have heard Yankees say HOW-STUN.

Of course, in my arrogance, I always assumed that was wrong. :)

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
the stallions would have been a much better name. that was a stupid choice. Hell, the Apollos would have been better. Those were the 3 choices they were down to. They made the wrong decision.

late.

TDP

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
I voted for Apollos. I thought it would have been cool to stay with the "space" theme -- Astros, Rockets, Comets, Aeros, uh... Texans :Q

Sephiroth_IX

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
It doesnt even flow. Tennesee Titans is a MUCH better name, as they were the last expansion.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
My roommate is from texas, and we're all in NY now. So he gets ragged on pretty regularly about being a wacky texan. Some strange kind of pride thing or something, can't understand it myself.

SoCalConman

Aug 25, 2000
Hey, the NFL should give Los Angeles another football team for the two it lost. Maybe they'll give them a really dumb name for it....like the Los Angeles Californians. Somehow, I doubt that team name will get approval. But I still think the "Houston Texans" still sounds as dumb as my proposal....

cwand

Banned
Jun 26, 2000
I agree, but this is going to be the new team that I pull for, so I'm hoping that the name will grow on me.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
texans is an old football name... the chiefs used to be the texans, when they were in dallas, in case you didn't know. and sam houston, for whom the city is named, was from tennessee, so its not just a texan way of pronouncing it.

Total Refected Power

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Better names:

Houston Hombres
Houston Honchos
Houston Hippos
Houston Hooch
Houston Hunters
Houston Hazards

I think I like Houston Harzards the best.

God, I'm bored.