Commentary on the Occupy movement by Michael Parenti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I beg to differ. They have already garnered much attention and are continuing to shine a bright searchlight on the selfish and, dare I say, unpatriotic and un-American activities of the 1%. Although I have yet to see signs that the 1% are taking this as a serious threat.

Hopefully I'm wrong and they are privately considering these Occupy events behind closed doors.

You're not wrong, the 1% could care less about the OWS movement and never will. The only people that have been affected by these protests are regular working stiffs and the small businesses that employ them.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Exactly. OWS whines that wall street owns government, but doesn't want to do anything about the government, they just want to whine about wall street. Newsflash: if government wasn't so corruptible and powerful in the first place, there wouldn't be any issue.

From what I have seen they want to expand govt. These people complain about wall street corruption but want to make the coffers more enticing for corruption by expanding govt.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
From what I have seen they want to expand govt. These people complain about wall street corruption but want to make the coffers more enticing for corruption by expanding govt.

So take Wall Street, the Coorporations and Lobbying (AIPAC et al) out of government. There's the majority of the corruption issues solved in one go.

Oct 30, 2004
You're not wrong, the 1% could care less about the OWS movement and never will. The only people that have been affected by these protests are regular working stiffs and the small businesses that employ them.

If the OWS protesters start building guillotines and/or start kidnapping family members of the 1% and holding them for ransom South American style, they might start to take notice.

Oct 30, 2004
There's no point. All this camping out and general assembly nonsense and two months later they haven't changed a molecule of the situation, much less making a dent in it.

It's possible that it might encourage some politicians to consider raising taxes on the 1%.

What they really need to do is to organize their own Tea Party and begin taking control of the Democrats.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If the OWS protesters start building guillotines and/or start kidnapping family members of the 1% and holding them for ransom South American style, they might start to take notice.

occupy-wall-street-political-cartoon-guillotine.jpg

guillotine%2Bgolden.jpg

WALL+ST+BULL+2.jpg

a30a0360d746012e2fac00163e41dd5b.gif