Coming to Christ has done much good for myself and family.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
In the end it does take faith, but my faith is bound up in the truth of the good of Jesus, the rest of it is peripheral.

thanks for the thoughts bro :)

**OFFICIAL** and **CONFIRMED**

LordMagnusKain isn't just another religious zealot troll.

:)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
I salute you for posting this here, but people are just going to flame you. Admitting to being a Christian and talking about it is almost forum suicide.

Yeah, folks around here will accept just about any sort of behaviour as long as you aren't in anyway religious.

Pretty much. People are tolerant around here as long as you aren't gay or a christian.

Did I ever tell you I'm a gay Christian?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Amused
I salute you for posting this here, but people are just going to flame you. Admitting to being a Christian and talking about it is almost forum suicide.

Yeah, folks around here will accept just about any sort of behaviour as long as you aren't in anyway religious.

Pretty much. People are tolerant around here as long as you aren't gay or a christian.

:disgust::| People like you are what's wrong with the world.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
In the end it does take faith, but my faith is bound up in the truth of the good of Jesus, the rest of it is peripheral.

thanks for the thoughts bro :)

**OFFICIAL** and **CONFIRMED**

LordMagnusKain isn't just another religious zealot troll.

It's cool that he's just sharing his newfound faith, but not pushing it or being judgemental. :beer:

But what is impressing me more is the lack of flames from others. When I saw this thread last night I thought, "oh no." But so far, everyone has been pretty cool about it.

Is ATOT actually becoming ... CIVIL??? :Q

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

:disgust::| People like you are what's wrong with the world.

Now that this thread has been unlocked, I can say... :p

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Yes, this thread should be stickied... it is one of the best examples EVAR of a civil conversation taking place in ATOT. Stunning...

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: cpals
I agree with your basis, but posting this here is just going to cause flames... Also, why does your post look weird?

I am using MSword to spell check my posts, when I use the apostrophe mark it comes out funky apparently.

I've had a lot of good brought to me, the least I can do is tell others about it, but i am not going to stand in the middle of the street yelling... I don't do that IRL i'm not going to do that in this community, but Iâ??ll say what's occurred if anyone is interested, if not I will clean my clip board and move on :).

SPELLCHECKING!!!!

You CAN"T be the orginal LMK. :D

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
How many people have had better lives because there is no god?

How many people have had better lives because of the salvation of God?

Loaded question
Either deny the existance of god or accept your version of him. Where's the option for "my beliefs are not the same as yours, but I do have beliefs"

Go find a religious fanatic board and stop posting here

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
I'm glad that everyone is being civil with each other...it's a nice break from all the flaming on religious threads.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
If you want your testimony to be apprectiated, you might try presenting it in such a way that so that it can be appreciated.
In what way would that be? I am honestly trying to parse through the best way to share what's happened so that I don't upset people.
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.
Trust me, you're doing fine IMO (especially as I'm assuming that English is not your native tongue). My point was that you shared an excellent testimony but got ripped on the way you presented it because of your relatively poor English skills.
If your faith has made your life better, then more power to you.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow

Loaded question
Either deny the existance of god or accept your version of him. Where's the option for "my beliefs are not the same as yours, but I do have beliefs"

Stop that. He asked a question, that's all. He has not been judgmental or condescending. You, on the other hand...

I'm an agnostic. But at least I can respect other people's beliefs so long as they don't flame like you just did.

May 10, 2001

Loaded question

If you think of God in another way that's fine, I've looked at a good number of the worlds relegions...

it seems to me that adding the good teachings of Jesus, and a humble heart to God only brings about a positive enhancement of any way you faithfully look at the universe.

All i can say is that Christ has done miracles in my life, i can't speak for anyone else's faith, nor can i say you are necessarily 'wrong' in what you think *unless you plan on killing people 'for god'*, though i can assure you that i am 'right', but that's a matter of my faith and what's occured... oddly, when looking at other religions, I rarely find something that says accepting, at the center of your existence, Jesus, means you can't practice there religion *though i know a few luciferians that have troubles with Jesus and submitting to repentance of sins*

It's my opinion that no matter the religions you are exposed to, you get a chance to submit your will to God and accept salvation... though I'm sure if you have access to knowledge about Jesus you'd be well advised to follow him directly :)

My point was that you shared an excellent testimony but got ripped on the way you presented it because of your relatively poor English skills
I get that a lot.. I'm just dyslexic / lazy :p

Thanks for the pleasant conversation.

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002

Loaded question

If you think of God in another way that's fine, I've looked at a good number of the worlds relegions...

it seems to me that adding the good teachings of Jesus, and a humble heart to God only brings about a positive enhancement of any way you faithfully look at the universe.

All i can say is that Christ has done miracles in my life, i can't speak for anyone else's faith, nor can i say you are necessarily 'wrong' in what you think *unless you plan on killing people 'for god'*, though i can assure you that i am 'right', but that's a matter of my faith and what's occured... oddly, when looking at other religions, I rarely find something that says accepting, at the center of your existence, Jesus, means you can't practice there religion *though i know a few luciferians that have troubles with Jesus and submitting to repentance of sins*

It's my opinion that no matter the religions you are exposed to, you get a chance to submit your will to God and accept salvation... though I'm sure if you have access to knowledge about Jesus you'd be well advised to follow him directly :)

My point was that you shared an excellent testimony but got ripped on the way you presented it because of your relatively poor English skills
I get that a lot.. I'm just dyslexic / lazy :p

Thanks for the pleasant conversation.

You do know that Islam is solely based on accepting the Koran (Q'uran) as the word of God (Allah) through Muhammad? It does accept Jesus as a prophet, but not as the center of the universe. Are Muslims your so-called "Luciferans"? Am I a Luciferan because I don't accept Jesus and don't repent my sins (in the formal way)? I do agree with you though, that religions are generally based on accepting God.
Things aren't so black and white as to be "Christians v. Luciferans." At least, I hope you don't think of it that way.

Edit: And to answer your sig from my own point of view, my life has been made better without God because I take full responsibility for everything I do, and instead of answering to God, I answer to myself and that is the highest form of judgment for me. In my opinion, guilt > the fear of God. I don't do bad things (murder etc.) because the guilt would drive me insane (take me to my own personal hell.) If you don't do bad things because God/Jesus told you not to, and not by your own free will, I don't know what to say. And just for the record, I was raised by Hindu parents, and they taught me my morals.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Jesus exists, he washes my car and mows my lawn for me.

my dishwasher stopped working, just fell down, i found a green service card in his pocket, but it went to some number in mexico ....he hasnt worked for 3 days, help!

*shamelessly stolen...badly*

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Hell it's just great to see LordMagnusKain back and posting here, even if he has been saved. Don't let his joined date fool you, he was here destroying the English Language way before a lot of you Chatroom kiddies even heard of Anandtech!

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
taking opiates has done much good for myself and family. if any of you want to hear my story, ask and i'll share it with you.

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli
Ugh.

I think I'm officially agnostic now.

Just a few years ago, I believed fully in God and Jesus and all that, primarily taught by my Dad.

I have quite a few problems with the whole thing now.

First and foremost, I refuse to believe that God is some pissed off motherfscker that punishes you if you do not believe in him and follow all of his rules. Absolutely disgusting. Why would God care if we believe in him or not? Why would that make him angry? If we're supposed to be his children that have fallen from grace, and this is our school.. then we merely have not learned yet. Life is all the punishment we need. A teacher does not punish a pupil when they do not grasp something.

2)... The Bible. Great. So I'm supposed to gain all my theistic knowledge from a 2,000 year old book that has been written and rewritten by God knows how many men(no pun intended)? I mean, the Bible is a great story book. It teaches history, values, lessons and morals, and there is nothing wrong with that. But it's going to take a little more than a 2,000 year old book of values, lessons and morals for me to believe that the Creator of all this wonderfulness is malicious. Further, it cannot be the word of God, unless God was incarnated 2,000 years ago and wrote it himself. It was written, translated and rewritten by Man. Period.

3) Organized religion. There are and have been dozens of religions. Which one is right? How do you know you've picked the right one? Why do they all try and control their people with fear? It is ironic that they all try to explain the origins of.. everything, which of course, has always been a hot topic amongst any people.

I guess I just don't have enough faith.

Well, I take that back. I have plenty of faith.. that we know a little more than we did 2,000 years ago. ;) We're understanding how more and more things in the world work now, and suddenly things start to fit into place without a mystical explination.

Of course, I'm totally open to their being a supreme being that created us. Assuming the universe is however many billions of years old.. What if some ancient, advanced, dying planet found Earth and sent a probe with some "primordial soup" here, so the legacy of their planet would continue on.. at least to them?

How is that for a God? Pretty depressing, huh? :p

That is not similar at all to the God I believe in. I'll give you just a few thoughts.

I'm a baptist specifically, well my church is, but we're extremely contemporary. (I play bass guitar in 2 full bands there :)) But all religion is is basically man's way to get to God. I have a relationship. It may sound slightly corny, but it's true. I believe that man is destined to a real hell because of sin. God sent his son to die in our place as a free gift, and if we accept that gift we have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and will spend eternity in heaven.

The 40+ (i'm pretty sure) authors of the bible were inspired by God in what they wrote. This is how it's not just man's work. Also I don't understand what you mean by it has been ". . . rewritten by God knows how many men. . .".

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
bleh, either share a story or dont post.. it has nothing to do with religion.. if i put up a generic post saying

"boy, the army really saved my life.. pm me for more info", that would be retarded..

May 10, 2001
Yep, i was here back on the old UBBS :), man that thing crashed like clockwork.
You do know that Islam is solely based on accepting the Koran (Q'uran) as the word of God (Allah) through Muhammad?
Yes, and i happen to disagree strongly with that religion because I've read the Koran.. but accepting Jesus would not mean you couldn't act out the religious part of that religion, though the bit about killing people does go against the basic 'love thy neighbor' teachings of Jesus.

Are Muslims your so-called "Luciferans"? Am I a Luciferan because I don't accept Jesus and don't repent my sins (in the formal way)?
nah Luciferans are people who worship Lucifer and believe that he's actually our creator, and is gonna win his war on God. Satanists would be those who worship self-fulfillment through physical means.. though hedonists, who are looking for the best fulfillment and joy, are prime candidates to be filled with the love and joy that can come from Christ.

my life has been made better without God because I take full responsibility for everything I do, and instead of answering to God, I answer to myself and that is the highest form of judgment for me.
That's simaler to the way i view things, I've got free will, and if i do what i know to be wrong, then it's something I'm guilty of, i've got to answer to myself for my actions. Though i know when it comes to the final tally Jesus has already died for those inequities not to separate me from God =);

I do freely submit my free will to God, but i figure I can submit to God or stay slave to sin, I guess the final word on free will in my eyes is to try to follow after what i know to be good because of the spirit *IE Jesus's life and teachings* or after what my flesh desires.

In my opinion, guilt > the fear of God. I don't do bad things (murder etc.) because the guilt would drive me insane (take me to my own personal hell.) If you don't do bad things because God/Jesus told you not to, and not by your own free will, I don't know what to say.
I don't do bad things because i want to improve as a person, and because i know in my heart my actions will and are being judged, and because i know that the honest and good path will bring me to the best possible conclusion.

And just for the record, I was raised by Hindu parents, and they taught me my morals.
good to know :), I've always thought that it'd be hard for me to figure out what right and wrong for myself because there's always the temptation to self-justify overtly wrong actions.

Thanks for the thoughtful dialog, it's good to hear you are doing well.

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
bleh, either share a story or dont post.. it has nothing to do with religion.. if i put up a generic post saying

"boy, the army really saved my life.. pm me for more info", that would be retarded..

That's because if you tell a story about being in the army in this forum there aren't anti-army freaks who will flame you for forcing the army down their throats. That happens here as soon as the word "Jesus" flows from your keyboard, even though the title clearly indicates that this is a religious thread which doesn't have to be entered.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: lirion
Originally posted by: TallBill

That's because if you tell a story about being in the army in this forum there aren't anti-army freaks who will flame you for forcing the army down their throats. That happens here as soon as the word "Jesus" flows from your keyboard, even though the title clearly indicates that this is a religious thread which doesn't have to be entered.

if you'd like me to publicly post my history i will TB, but lirion's reasons are why i didn't start off that way.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i think many the reason why many people are offended by jesus and such is because they are repulsed by the decisions made by christian leaders and members of the church. Violations of other peoples ideals, persecution, hatred, murder, blackmail, extortion, fear monging, rape are are tools of the trade for many religious groups and people are fed up with the hypocrisy of the people who claim to be so moral but do nothing but hurt others and force their ideals down other peoples throats using the means described above.

you have not done any of the things yet, especially not in this thread but when you wonder why people hate jesus so much you should try to put yourself in a non-christians shoes for a day, a wekk, a month, a year, a lifetime.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i think many the reason why many people are offended by jesus and such is because they are repulsed by the decisions made by christian leaders and members of the church. Violations of other peoples ideals, persecution, hatred, murder, blackmail, extortion, fear monging, rape are are tools of the trade for many religious groups and people are fed up with the hypocrisy of the people who claim to be so moral but do nothing but hurt others and force their ideals down other peoples throats using the means described above.

you have not done any of the things yet, especially not in this thread but when you wonder why people hate jesus so much you should try to put yourself in a non-christians shoes for a day, a wekk, a month, a year, a lifetime.

I understand it, i wasn't always saved :p;

but the individual's experience is what's important, and hopefully this pre-salvation mindset will bring down those things.. as i believe it has in my and many other's case.

May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh

I understand it, i wasn't always saved :p;

but the individual's experience is what's important, and hopefully this pre-salvation mindset will bring down those things.. as i believe it has in my and many other's case.