Comey cleared to discuss conversations with Trump

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-acti...rman-comey-can-testify-about-talks-with-trump

Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) predicts that former FBI Director James Comey will be able to discuss his conversations with President Trump during his testimony this week before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

"They've talked, but I understand that the special counsel has not fenced him off in any way, shape or form from the items he intends to talk about," Burr told CNN on Monday evening, when asked if former FBI Director Robert Mueller, the special counsel for the Russia investigation, had put limits on what Comey might discuss.

Pressed if Comey could discuss his conversations with Trump, the panel's chairman added, "I feel certain that he can."

Comey is scheduled to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee on Thursday, where he'll likely face questions about the FBI's investigation into Russia's election meddling and potential ties between the Trump campaign and Moscow.

The former FBI director is also expected to be grilled on his surprise firing and conversations with Trump amid reports that the president asked him to back down on the bureau's investigation into former national security advisor Michael Flynn, who was fired earlier this year.

Comey has a history of giving headline-grabbing testimony before Congress, but he could be limited on what he can say about the FBI and DOJ probes into Russia's election interference and former Trump campaign officials because of the ongoing investigation.

Burr noted that the former FBI director "can't talk about anything that's classified in an open session."

"But I haven't gotten any indication that he [is] contained in any way shape or form as a public citizen," he said.

In addition to publicly testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee, Comey is expected to meet in a separate closed-door briefing with lawmakers.

Burr and Comey talked on Friday, with the GOP senator telling CNN it was a "good conversation" and one of several they've had recently.

Comey also met several times with Burr and other Senate Intelligence Committee members, who are conducting their own investigation into the 2016 election, before he was fired last month.

This is going to be good.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I expect so. There has been the specter of Trump attempting to block Comey, but now there is no FBI director speaking, just a citizen. It will be interesting to hear what Comey says, the panel politicizing his testimony and the resulting spin.

Bloody three ring circus.

I think it will predictably be Democrat: Conversations with Trump, Trump campaign Russia contacts Republican: Unmasking!

That narrative I can't even fathom. If you catch people having suspicious contacts with Russia, you just ignore it ?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I expect so. There has been the specter of Trump attempting to block Comey, but now there is no FBI director speaking, just a citizen. It will be interesting to hear what Comey says, the panel politicizing his testimony and the resulting spin.

Bloody three ring circus.

This seems like Trump's best move here. Any claim of executive privilege was very likely to lose in court so you might as well look like you have nothing to hide.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I doubt executive privilege would apply anyways. Has it ever been used to stop a cooperating witness from testifying?