Comedian Dave Chappelle Hospitalized for 'Exhaustion'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: JoeKing
Originally posted by: grohl
Text

Can someone tell me what the hell happened to this guy?
drugs.

I heard it was World Of Warcraft that got him ;)

"You know what I've been playing a lot of?" the comedian reportedly asked the crowd. "World of Warcraft!" When a few cheers broke out, he reportedly responded, "I knew I had some geek brothers and sisters up in here!" Chappelle also was said to have expressed his amusement seeing WoW characters with names referring to his most famous sketches, including a rogue with a name inspired by the famous "I'm Rick James, B****" sketch.

WOW = is a drug

amirite? :p

you is teh right :(

<---damnit almost raid time! :(

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Sqube
Sure do wish he'd come back and give us some more Chappelle's show. I guess that secret cabal got him in the end... ;)

Think the Cabal thing is true? He did just kind of freak out...seemed odd, Dave loved doing standup.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: JoeKing
Originally posted by: grohl
Text

Can someone tell me what the hell happened to this guy?
drugs.

I heard it was World Of Warcraft that got him ;)

"You know what I've been playing a lot of?" the comedian reportedly asked the crowd. "World of Warcraft!" When a few cheers broke out, he reportedly responded, "I knew I had some geek brothers and sisters up in here!" Chappelle also was said to have expressed his amusement seeing WoW characters with names referring to his most famous sketches, including a rogue with a name inspired by the famous "I'm Rick James, B****" sketch.

WoW claims another one, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

edit: WoW is a helluva drug :p

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Sure do wish he'd come back and give us some more Chappelle's show. I guess that secret cabal got him in the end... ;)

Think the Cabal thing is true? He did just kind of freak out...seemed odd, Dave loved doing standup.

I was going to suggest the Black Crusaders (30 Rock), but it seems that Chappelle's "Dark Crusaders" were the inspiration.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006

That's incredibly conspiracy-theory-ish, but stranger things have happened. If it *IS* true, then shame on them. Only ignorant people would see anymore in the show than the comedy it is. "Set black people back 50 years" my ass.

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: TruePaige

Wow..that whole website is pretty messed up...

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
He has since returned to the standup circuit. In April, he broke the endurance record at the Laugh Factory comedy club in Los Angeles by delivering a more than six-hour-long standup routine.

Holy Sh!t

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: StartingLine
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Originally posted by: Journer
best comedian of all time

Not even in the top 10. :roll:

Now here's someone who's firmly grounded in reality. :thumbsup:

Seriously..

Sure he's funny and his show had it's moments, but that doesn't make him a great 'comedian' by any stretch of the imagination. I consider him a naturally funny person who could say something that makes no sense and still make you laugh.

he is a great comedian, just look at who replaced him carlos mencia if you want the definition of mediocrity.

I find Carlos much more funny...although his first season was better than the later.

...but Best Ever?? I can think of 10+ comedians that I find more funny than Chappelle without even thinking hard.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Chapelle's only not in the top 10 because there are/were so damn many awesome comics. Hell, I could probably name 50 off the top of my head. His show might possibly be in the top 10 funniest shows of all time though.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: senseamp
He's probably exhausted from not working. ;)

No, he recently broke a record at an LA comedy club for dishing out a whopping 6 hour standup performance.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Originally posted by: Journer
best comedian of all time

Not even in the top 10. :roll:

Probably not even in the top 50. Not to say thats bad though. There's been an awful lot of comedians and if he can break the top 100 thats good. I've seen worse... lots worse.