Come on Serena Williams! Australian open finals

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Total domination. She jumped from #81 to #14. Amazing. Sharapova couldn't do jack.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
they should let the womens champ face the mens champ...it'd be great seeing federer get his ass schooled by a "girl"

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Drakkon
they should let the womens champ face the mens champ...it'd be great seeing federer get his ass schooled by a "girl"

Very funny. Nobody can touch Federer now. I assume from this thread that Serena beat Sharapova, which does surprise me. She's been so out of shape for so long and had injury issues too. It just goes to show that noone on the women's tour is playing at a really high level now.

Treyshadow

Jan 31, 2000
Except Serena when she is rested. Even out of shape she is better than the field on a rebound / laykold surface.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: Treyshadow
Except Serena when she is rested. Even out of shape she is better than the field on a rebound / laykold surface.

You think Serena, even in her best shape, could touch Federer?

Dream on, buddy.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

that would not happen.

Federer would win. while Williams is a great player and dominates the womens field she is no match for federer.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: atybimf
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Originally posted by: atybimf
Originally posted by: Treyshadow

Serena in shape :Q

That man makes a really bad looking woman.

Better watch what you say - she could beat you down with a couple quick flexes of her ass!

And that still wouldn't change the fact that she's hideous.

Treyshadow

Jan 31, 2000
You misread my comments, I meant the women's field. Federer is a machine, and plays so. Very Ivan Lindel-esk. Serena doesn't have any direct competition in the women's field that has broken through. Peer, and Jankovic come to mind because their game is similar, but on the faster surfaces, its tough to go against that much service return power.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Wow, Serena Williams is amazing. I was shocked to see that she made it far into the tournament, and now to see that she won the thing...speechless.

Yeah, the best man can beat the best woman in sports, that pretty much goes without saying and so does the fact that the entertainment level isn't usually as high. But tennis is one of those sports where you don't see a huge dropoff between men and women. Praise and credit is definitely due.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001

I would give 10:1 odds on any woman player facing any man in the top #100.
And I will give even odd on any woman facing against any man in thr pro circuit right now.
A woman cannot handle serves that are routinely 120-130++mph.
Yes, Venus has the fastest serve at 127mph but thats once in a blue moon.

tailes151

Mar 3, 2006
I went to highschool and played with a kid named Kellen Damico a few years back. He won the junior doubles of wimbledon with his friend this last year. He has played Jennifer Capriati, whom he beat 6-2 6-2 and also recently was flown to Sharapova to be her hitting partner for a few weeks. He took her 6-0 6-2. Kellen trained at John Roddick's academy for a while where he had the opportunity to play with greats like Andy Roddick and a couple other of the men's top pro's. They ate him alive.

My point -- The top women are excellent at tennis, would destroy me and some lower level college men. However, there is a VERY large gap between the top of the men's game and the top of the womens game.

Now, on topic. I don't really like Serena but I hate Sharapova so I was happy with the outcome. I just really want to see Martina come back and win another slam.